Digital Transformation
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing customer-centric IT’s new ‘secret weapon’ – IT Net Promoter Score

RafaelBrugnini

I started to write this Blog about three weeks ago – but didn’t quite get it finished. However, when I saw the flurry of emails and tweets coming from our ITSM Customer Forum in Berlin this week, it prompted me to finally publish. I have always believed successful customers are our most passionate and powerful advocates.

Equally, unhappy customers can be our biggest detractors. More than ever I believe that a KPI based on an Net Promoter Score, increasingly used across many consumer segments as measure of core stakeholder engagement and satisfaction, could emerge as one of IT’s most important metrics.

Where did this all start? I’ve seen the statistics in this graphic below presented to customers on several occasions – but the full impact of these three key data points had never truly hit home until recently.

image001.jpg

I started to consider the underlying root causes and joined the dots between these and the customer service concept of Net Promoter Scores. This led me to consider the concept of an IT Net Promoter Score, (NPS). I believe this will emerge as one of IT’s most strategic KPIs as we progress on our journey to the New Style of customer-centric IT. Let me explain my thinking.

Firstly, for those not familiar with Net Promoter Score, I would recommend this site. For those who are familiar with it, the relationship between the three trends called out in the graphic and NPS is immediately apparent. The common issue underlying all three statistics is a loosening in the relationship between central IT and its end-users. All three statistics are clear indicators of end user and line-of-business dis-engagement.

Put more strongly; end-users, departments and regional operating companies are disaffected with central IT and are voting with their feet. If you asked yourself today what would my IT Net Promoter Score be? The answer is probably a scary one. That’s why driving up IT’s NPS could be one of the most strategic challenges and most relevant KPIs for IT.

Let’s explore the three trends identified above in a little more detail and see how they can be reversed. 54% of workers stated they would seek out the Internet, co-workers, local tech support, or their peers before official IT teams. The underlying reason for this is the Service Desk remains the enduring interface between IT and its stakeholders despite being largely unchanged in the last 25 years.

IT needs to re-engage with end users and business stakeholders by transforming Service Desks into immersive, ticketless and consumer-centric experiences whilst facilitating social media -style collaboration. The graphic also shows us over 35% of cloud spending is now outside of IT’s control. Cloud applications have encouraged a bypassing of corporate IT functions, giving very poor visibility into an organization’s true service portfolio.

Finally, there’s the finding that by 2016, 80% of new IT investments will directly involve Line- of-Business executives. The issue here is access to IT infrastructure is no longer a strategic control point, Bring Your Own Device and cloud have combined to remove some elements of technology selection from the IT teams’ roles. Understanding and accepting cloud and As- a-Service delivery means Lines of Business no longer depend on IT infrastructure to source services.

One answer here may be to provide a single “Front Door“ to all IT services (internally and externally sourced) through an integrated service catalogue. Such a solution would clearly route stakeholders to corporate knowledge and help IT professionals to  uniformly provisions new goods and services, meeting customer demands as they occcur, while addressing the growing issue of catalogue sprawl.

IT needs to embrace the growing reality of Bring Your Own Service (BYOS) and use this to engage with LOB executives to realize this vision of IT as a Service Broker. The creation of an integration and governance platform, which supports and promotes services exchange and offering strategic alternatives to legacy shared services platforms, can only help to manage this.

Whilst a positive IT Net Promoter Score may not be high on many IT teams’ current agendas, it is clearly linked to stakeholder engagement. If, like me, you believe maintaining stakeholder engagement is one of the biggest challenges facing the CIO Office in its future role - as a Broker of IT Services - maybe it is time to consider tracking your IT Net Promoter Score as a strategic KPI.

The three strategies above are the foundation of our Connected Intelligence approach to IT service Delivery. To find out more, click here. To directly experience the power of Connected Intelligence, start now by downloading a trial of HP Service Anywhere and HP Propel.

In addition, I would like your help and would welcome your views on the IT Net Promoter Score concept. Which KPIs are most relevant for your IT NPS? Please provide your input through this short Blog Poll. We will share the results of the poll as we follow up on each of the topics outlined above in future posts.

About the Author

RafaelBrugnini

Rafael Brugnini (Rafa) joined HP in 1996 and has more than 20 years of knowledge and experience in the IT industry. He lives in Madrid with family, and in his spare time he enjoys windsurfing.

Comments
GeorgB

Hi Rafa,

I certainly agree with your perspective as well as with the functional conclusion around connected intelligence. But can stop there? Is promoting really triggered by functional capabilities or rather dominated by emotional aspects? And are we acting and perceived as partners of IT with a joined goal around NPS? How do we help IT to market themselves to their end-customers?

I think could improve our engagement model with IT to be mentors of IT, helping them develop their vision and strategy, and position appropriately with their stakeholders. At the same time influencing the stakeholders top-down ourselves, specifically the c-level, in that regard. We likely do not have the appropriate material but we could sure build it.

Furthermore, would it not help improving perception (both, IT and us) in the eyes of the stakeholders if we would offer a risk-sharing payment model for consuming our IT Mgmt solutions, maybe even using NPS as a metric?

Not meant to be answers, just food for thought, but woud be happy to continue and deepen the conversation to make it actionable.

Cheers, Georg

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more