Digital Transformation
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Big Data Service Desk: A vision realized

RafaelBrugnini

blog picture.jpg

Almost exactly a year ago, returning from an inspiring HP Software Customer Forum in Istanbul, I shared my excitement at the reaction I’d just seen to a wave of Service Management solution innovations we previewed there. I was bold enough to call the blog Service Management Re-Invented, convinced as I was about the significance of what I’d seen.

I was sure the Big Data Smart Analytics capabilities I had seen applied to the Service Desk would prove to be defining for HP Software and our customers. Twelve months later, I was delighted to hear how things are turning out for one of the early adopter customers I met in Istanbul by joining a BrightTalk webinar.

As you know from my previous posts, I much prefer our customers do the talking about our software. So when I heard Thore Senneset of Norwegian IT service provider, HEMIT, talk publicly about his team’s work supporting nine hospitals and 80 ambulance stations, it really gave me a sense of pride how HP’s vision translates into value for our customers.

If anything, the value which Thore and his team are extracting has surpassed my initial enthusiasm. In fact it would not be an exaggeration to say, this amazing product is literally changing, but perhaps even helping to save, lives. 

Thore is an enthusiastic early adopter of technology. In his world of course, Service Desk lag has a new level of urgency. As he says, “We are not in it for the money”. For HEMIT, urgency is defined by the minutes patients spend on an emergency operating table.

The beta tests for the introduction of HP Smart Analytics to a well-established HP Service Manager, which had racked up some 175,000 interactions in just over two years, were led by Thore. In these tests, interactions were analysed by Smart Analytics and, using the IDOL engine, Service Manager suggested the category and service for each interaction.

Working this way drives more accurate categorisation and assignment of issues, which naturally removes ambiguity and speeds time to resolution. The results were better than they or we envisioned. Fine-tuning Smart Analytics meant an increase from 40% to 70% in their category and service hit rate. This saves valuable time when creating new tickets, time that can be used to provide better service to the customers.

Smart Analytics suggests the category and service affected and also helps with problem management via Hot Topics Analytics. Through heat maps using Hot Topics Analytics, Problem Management staff can begin drilling into the issues which impacts users the most right now.

To further improve throughput, HEMIT also used Smart Analytics to simplify the generic support form for its Service Request Catalog. Now it focuses on only two items: who is contacting the team and why they are calling. This simplification eliminated many fields/controls where the user could, and often would, choose wrong values which, in turn, delayed the resolution of their issue.

How have they done all this? By using Big Data for what it is best at, helping humans out, or in this case reducing operator, meaning user, error. It does not stop there, using Optical Character Recognition transforms attached documents from useless, or at least time-consuming, appendages into valuable additional information which can be further analysed.

Of course, as always, the work in service management is ongoing, quality can always be improved. A better service desk clear-up rate means other issues can now be addressed. So Thore’s work is by no means done, his team is now continuously improving its service. At HP, we know real leaders when we see them, so to add to his burden we have also asked him to act as a guide for our future product design.

For me, the most pleasing aspect of this story is the fulfilment of a vision laid out 18 months ago and how HP’s technology has become a real catalyst for change in the wider business. As I said at the start, we love it when our vision becomes “Real Life” outcome for our customers. Hindsight is wonderful, but predicting future issues, when lives are at stake, is much better.

About the Author

RafaelBrugnini

Rafael Brugnini (Rafa) joined HP in 1996 and has more than 20 years of knowledge and experience in the IT industry. He lives in Madrid with family, and in his spare time he enjoys windsurfing.

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more