Digital Transformation
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The vision behind the HP IT Performance Suite: A conversation with Erez Yaary

HeatherMackey

erez_yaary.pngErez Yaary is the product line manager for the HP IT Performance Suite (ITPS), focusing on new and innovative ways to deliver IT software. Discover Performance asked him to talk a bit about the origins of HP ITPS and explain the thinking that led to its creation.

What was your role in developing HP ITPS?

Two years ago I envisioned and designed the HP Executive Scorecard, a product and solution that is focused on helping IT leaders transform their organizations to become performance-driven. I designed the product strategy as well as the high-level functional architecture and building blocks.

Could you tell us a bit about the background experience that gave rise to ITPS and the Executive Scorecard?

Dashboards and scorecards have always fascinated me as they provided a means to better see and manage operations–and IT is no exception. I come from the operations space and served as BSM Chief Functional Architect. In that position I focused on service health and operations bridge where one would consolidate operational data and give it a business context, thus managing operations from a business view. Drawing from that experience it dawned on me that in order for IT to perform better, a performance system is required, making sense out of isolated pieces of data by means of giving them business sense.

Seeing the opportunity, I used my knowledge of service-based operations to create a data warehouse-based analytics platform with an executive dashboard sitting at the top and delivering IT-wide consolidated KPIs and scorecards.

Designing the HP IT Executive Scorecard required a blend of the analysts community perspective with current customer challenges, all the time keeping an eye on where competition is heading.

Why are analytics and metrics so important for IT? And why won’t the old ways of managing information in IT (spreadsheets, quarterly reports, etc.) work anymore?

As modern ways of doing business brings about new competition, firms are forced to reinvent themselves. They need to deliver more value or products with fewer people and be faster to market. Optimizing IT processes is one of the means by which firms can create a competitive advantage and differentiate themselves. As a result, it’s increasingly important to measure how IT is performing as well as get actionable insights as to where performance inhibitors are and how to alleviate them. There’s also an increased need to process information and react to its meaning in a timely manner. As value-change cycles are decreasing, so is the analysis interval. You need real-time visibility so corrections can be carried out as fast as possible.

How can a performance system help IT leaders as they face a changing IT landscape?

A performance system provides IT leaders with a single pane of glass that outlines relevant trends and issues they need to be aware of. This is necessary whether they are managing strategic transformation initiatives or day-to-day operations. Use of a performance system can help IT leadership address important questions, such as assessing which business services to outsource or evaluating the cost and risk of not delivering projects on time. IT decision makers need to design and implement yearly strategies that take into account market and technological disruptions around them as well as business disruptions caused by competition–a performance system is invaluable in all of this.

As adoption of performance systems spreads, what advice do you have for IT leaders?

As more and more IT organizations adopt performance systems, they will need to use them wisely in order to create more business value than their competitors, who might also have performance systems. Using a performance system wisely means setting the right goals and keeping them current as the internal and external landscape changes. It also means keeping track of how those goals are being met as well as acting fast when indications show that some of them will not be met. Being proactive will be the name of the game, and an ongoing use of the performance system–not just occasionally–will allow IT organizations to deliver more value with fewer resources, faster.

Related links:

twitter.jpglinkedin.jpg

dpblogfooter.jpg

0 Kudos
About the Author

HeatherMackey

I have been a writer/editor in the technology field for several years.

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more