Digital Transformation
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What will BYOD look like in 2020?

marc wilkinson

Mike I think this is a great article ... and I just want to take it a bit further (maybe to a farcical extreme)

We talk about BYOD ... where D is DEVICE.

D ... is also DESK

and perhaps we will see an even more significant increase in dispersal of the corporate population -work might now take place in any / every coffee shop (including those in Holland) - where the human interaction is by proximity rather than conversation.  I don't need to talk to those around me (I communicate via email, VoIP, IM etc already) - rather, I just NEED to know there are other humans around, perhaps doing the same as me.

As somebody who has been a teleworker for the last 8-10years, this has some obvious impacts.

• The social interaction is critical, and we need to find ways to make this easy, not forced.
  • we need the interaction to understand what is personal, and what is work.  we might have blurred the device by which we interact, but it doesn't mean we want the (any) corporate entity to KNOW our personal secrets & thoughts.
  • we need to understand the contract of teleworking - that the flexibility is two way.  As a teleworker, I know the dress code is relaxed, I know that I can skip to the library for an hour or two and still get the workload complete by working into the evening.  It is easy for organisations to fall for the trap, whereby those flexible hours become necessary to keep up, resulting in 10, 12, 14 hour days - without measure or governance

so, as we think about Bring Your Own Device in 2020, I think we need to think further, and cover the environment, the cultural impact and what IT can do to help avoid a social breakdown

0 Kudos
About the Author

marc wilkinson

Comments
marc wilkinson

Mike I think this is a great article ... and I just want to take it a bit further (maybe to a farcical extreme)

We talk about BYOD ... where D is DEVICE.

D ... is also DESK

and perhaps we will see an even more significant increase in dispersal of the corporate population -work might now take place in any / every coffee shop (including those in Holland) - where the human interaction is by proximity rather than conversation.  I don't need to talk to those around me (I communicate via email, VoIP, IM etc already) - rather, I just NEED to know there are other humans around, perhaps doing the same as me.

As somebody who has been a teleworker for the last 8-10years, this has some obvious impacts.

• The social interaction is critical, and we need to find ways to make this easy, not forced.
  • we need the interaction to understand what is personal, and what is work.  we might have blurred the device by which we interact, but it doesn't mean we want the (any) corporate entity to KNOW our personal secrets & thoughts.
  • we need to understand the contract of teleworking - that the flexibility is two way.  As a teleworker, I know the dress code is relaxed, I know that I can skip to the library for an hour or two and still get the workload complete by working into the evening.  It is easy for organisations to fall for the trap, whereby those flexible hours become necessary to keep up, resulting in 10, 12, 14 hour days - without measure or governance

so, as we think about Bring Your Own Device in 2020, I think we need to think further, and cover the environment, the cultural impact and what IT can do to help avoid a social breakdown

Labels
Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more