1753767 Members
5772 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

10K and 15K drives, same controller

Robert Grosshandler
Occasional Contributor

10K and 15K drives, same controller

I'd like to get a little more performance out of a ML 570. I'm using 10K drives right now in 5 logical disks. One of those logical disks is used way more (a search function). I can't add another drive to the array, but I can upgrade that logical disk from 10K disks to 15K disks.

So, can I have 15K disks for one logical drive, and 10K disks for my other logical drives, and get performance improvement?
It'd be 36GB disks, probably.

Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: 10K and 15K drives, same controller

Sounds like you are using a SmartArray controller and did create one logical disk per disk drive array. You can mix 10k and 15k RPM disk drives, even in the same disk drive aray.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

As Uwe said: You can mix drives (speed and size)

In order to improve performance I would build arrays consisiting of multiple drives and then create logical disks.
This way your IOs are evenly spread over all disks in an array and a single drive will not become a "hot spot".

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
e4services
Honored Contributor

To confirm, yes, 36GB and 73GB 15K drives are available right now. But a new generation is due for release this quarter that will bring even high capacity 146GB 15K drives with 3.3-msec average read and 3.8-msec average write seek times. Also coming is the new 300GB 10K SCSI.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Robert Grosshandler
Occasional Contributor

right on. Thanks.