108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

12H AutoRaid

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

12H AutoRaid

I have a 12H, with 7 drives installed. This is a test system, that I've been using to prepare spare drives. The AutoRaid had 3 9GB drives, and 3 18GB drives. With that configuration everything seems to work great. I added 1 36GB drive on Friday. Everything seems to work fine, except that 'ioscan' reports 8 drives back to me from the 12H. I checked disk devices through SAM, and it reports only the 7 there. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Ron Irving
Should have been an astronaut.
6 REPLIES 6
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Re: 12H AutoRaid

Actually, I gave some wrong info. SAM reports back that I have only 4 devices. However, when I view the actual 'AutoRaid disk array' in SAM, it shows the 7 drives, and correct capacity. Termination is correct, and the cables all have been tested to be good. I have 2 controllers hooked up in the 12H.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ron

The 4 devices, that sam reports, are those the four "logical" drives that you have configured?

The 'AutoRaid disk array' in SAM will show you the physical drives, therefore 7 is correct.

ioscan is probably reporting the 4 LOGICAL drives twice, hence 8 drives, because you have TWO paths to each LOGICAL drive. ioscan will NOT see the 7 PHYSICAL drives, nor will normal sam utilities, other than the autoraid ones.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Harry. It's all sinking in now.
Hartmut Lang
Trusted Contributor

The disks you add to the 12H are not disks you can use as physical volumes directly.
You have to create LUNs first. You reserve some capacity for each LUN. This capacity comes from the whole capacity of all the disks in your 12H. And the LUN will be distributed among all disks in your 12H. Be aware, that you can not resize (e.g. increase) a created LUN.
These LUNs are the physical volumes you can use in SAM, you should see these a devices.

Some more things:
Keep in mind that the numbers of LUNs per 12H is restricted (think the max. number of LUNs is 8).
If you only add one 36G disks, you will only have some of the additional space available. This ude to the way the 12H manages parity and active hot spare. (See AutoRaid User'S Manual "Managing the disk array capacity")

Hartmut
Darren Murray
Advisor

Hi Ron,

You probably already know this but you get a lot better outputs through
arraydsp -a
to look at the disks etc. in your 12H

Cheers
Darren
Can you imagine life without beer?
Farid Feknous
Frequent Advisor

Hi

More thing regarding the new drive, since you have only one 36GB disk only 18 GB will be used till you add one more 36GB.

Regards.

Farid
Djamil