108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 12H AutoRaid

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

12H AutoRaid

Is there a way to turn off AutoRaid on the 12H's? I believe its raid or forget it. Is that true?
UNIX IS GOOD
8 REPLIES 8
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

Yes, the name says it all.

Chris

It wasn't me!!!!
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Robert,

I am using 12H auto in production. No, there is no way to turn off RAID. The RAID will be either 0+1 or 5.

Hai
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

In a word, no. They only control you have is to limit the size of the allocated LUN's. If you keep it at about 50% capacity then it's all RAID 1/0; at allocated capacity levels about approximately that point an increasingly large fraction (but never greater than 0.9) is converted to RAID5.

You have absolutely no control over the physical placement of the data as fas as assigning a given LUN to a certain group of disks.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Just for clarification, my "yes" was to the second statement/question.

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

You do not have control over how the RAID is setup on a 12H. The only control you have is how much space you want to allocate for your LUNS. You might also want to consider a dual path setup (2 adapter cards on the server, one going to X channel and the other to Y).
Sajid_1
Honored Contributor

hello,

I faced this issue little while ago when we needed more space and no redundancy of data! We were using RAID-1 (mirroring) and the best way we could use that converting all to RAID-5. We got around 85% of the disk space available for use instead of 50%. You should take a full backup of the data before you do this and then reconfigure it from scratch.

We didn't try, but if you want you can consider doing a RAID-0 (striping) on disks and set different LUNs and see the difference.

gl,
learn unix ..
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Yup, it's just raid!
You can however, take out the disks from their enclosures and disk bays and reseat them in a JBOD disk enclosure and disk bay, but the autoraid controllers themselves cannot be programmed to do anything but raid.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
James Lakin
Occasional Advisor

I am piggy-backing off this thread...

2 Nodes connecting to 2 Controllers on the 12H.

I've read that only 1 controller is ever "really" active at 1 time. You can not benefit from the both X and Y Controllers simutaneously (i.e. No load balancing of throughput). I have also read many threads to the contrary of this. Help on this one...

I am experiencing performance issues and I believe I have an issue with the AUTORAID...

Controller X=1
Controller Y=0

All my LV's are going through the Y Controller but Y is NOT the Primary. Arraydsp -c arrayname shows Y as false for primary. X is the primary.

I want to do an arraymgr -c Y to set Controller Y as the primary. Will this work?