Re: 12H Autoraid alternative?

SOLVED
Go to solution
W.C. Epperson
Trusted Contributor

Vince,

Just before the remark with the smiley face after it, I said:
"Really not bad considering the age". I understand what goes into support pricing after 20 years as an HP support customer--have an HP3000 T-Delta-2 DUS tape hanging on my wall as a conversation piece.

So, yeah, it is a bargain. What's obscene is that I still NEED support for the little bugger.
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." --Poe
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

W.C.;

I meant no offense - I was just taken by how cheap it is! I thought for sure it would be much higher than that. I would think that our cost of maintaining that box is more than $134/mo.

Anyway... just to start a conversation...

Why do you say you need maintenance? You are free to maintain it yourself, I guess. Or upgrade to something newer, so it's under warranty. (a workstation is probably faster!)

Is it a legacy Application that forces you to maintain those older models?

Cheers from the winter wonderland of the northeast US,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
W.C. Epperson
Trusted Contributor

Vince,

Between weather and other contingencies, I just now noticed your extension of this thread (I'm in the South, and have had difficulty getting our AWD sedans out of the driveway lately, etc).

I still have the two E-class machines supporting development and production environments for old Oracle SQLForms applications running in text mode. We carry support on them because that's my major justification for a proprietary box/OS like the 9000/hp-ux: integrated hardware software support. In 20 years or so of managing systems, I've learned that when I have the same vendor on the hook for both hardware and software support, that vendor is accountable as the last line of support. When (as with SCO, Linux solutions, BSD, etc) there's one OS support vendor and another hardware support vendor, I'm the last line of support because the other two point fingers at each other (and sometimes at others as well).

BTW, I found a vendor who could bid the 12H configuration with HP installation and support. Bought it.
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." --Poe