108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

12H Autoraid alternative?

SOLVED
Go to solution
W.C. Epperson
Trusted Contributor

12H Autoraid alternative?

Just discovered I can't buy another refurb rp5450 with A3700A AutoRAID Model 12H, at least not with HP support (none available from FRD). HP hasn't been able to tell me a functional alternative yet. Anyone who can offer recommendations, experience, etc., with any other internal AutoRAID for a L2000/rp5450?
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." --Poe
12 REPLIES 12
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Re: 12H Autoraid alternative?

The HP Virtual Array (VA7100, VA7110, VA7400 and VA7410) is the replacement product for the 12H. All have AutoRAID.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
W.C. Epperson
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Vince. But no ARMServer-based replacement for the 12H? We've finally gotten used to the 12H quirks and using arraydsp, etc., with a half-dozen or so 12H-based L2000s in operation.
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Actually, while the venerable 12H has been widely used on the L-class & RP54xx, any FWD SCSI array is a serious drag on a PCI-capable 9000 box. You will find that HP running out of these things is a blessing in disguise.

As Vince says, go with the VA7100 for the most cost-effective alternative, but I'd recommend the VA7410 instead. They share a lot of features, but the VA7410 is faster and more expandable.

All you'll need will be a pair of FC cards and LC/LC FC cables to direct-connect the VA7410 to your L2000/RP5470. The VA arrays use AutoRAID features and are easy to administer, with all the benefits and drawbacks that the 12H has provided you over the years. There'll be some learning curve, of course, management is a little different (easier, actually).

The VA arrays will give you much better (like, 4x-10x) performance over the old 12H. For a single direct-attached server, it should be plenty speedy. For massive I/O or for several boxes to share the array, however, I'd look at the EMC CX600, which is the current speed king (this month).

Later... --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

There are equivelent ARM commands for the VA, so your administration is pretty similar.

If you really want 12H's, I can only suggest looking into the used equipment market.

Brian: nice plug for EMC. Spoken like a real EMC presales guy. ;-}
W.C. Epperson
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the roadmap-in-a-nutshell, Brian. It's good to know that the 74xx is at least 4x as fast as the 12H. It's about 4x the $ I've been paying for 12H's.

Never been shy about slower but stable products. Just moved my last G-class into surplus room. Still have a couple of E-classes up and running.
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

I have several customers who still have running G- and E-class units. Not on maintenance, which would be obscene by now, but they still run. I generally bow in their direction as I walk by, since one should be respectful to one's elders...

But in truth, I consider a box stable after it's been out for a couple of years with few glitches, and if the glitches have been corrected. The VA arrays have been out for over 3 years now, and qualify for me as "stable". Hope you like them.

I was a little surprised when HP came out with the VA7110, the enhanced version of the original VA7400. I suspect it is now the value leader, if you're looking for the "cheapest bestest", it is probably your new best friend.

Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
W.C. Epperson
Trusted Contributor

Full hw/sw 8x5xNBD support on my remaining E-classes runs about $134/mo. Really not bad considering the age. Of course, you may consider paying ANYTHING for support on a 64Mhz box to be obscene. ;)
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Just the opposite, actually; You're asking support to stock parts (which are no longer manufactured) and train personnel (as experienced people retire, someone has to be trained to maintain your box), and all that for a measly $134/mo...

Sounds like a real bargin to me!

Vince
Tony Bacon
Frequent Advisor

The VA Arrays are on the Refurb market. The disk drives themselves are as affordable as the 12H Drives, atleast they are here. The actual array however is going to be a little higher. I think the performance gain will be justifiable however.

Tony Bacon
North American Systems
tbacon@nasi.com