Disk Enclosures
1752666 Members
5539 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1794-Drive Array - Array Accelerator Battery Charge Low...

Lamer_1

Thank you very much for the answer.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

When you're having these kind of problems.
"FW upgraded, batteries replaced, and it still fail..."
Then you should raise a case with HP support, and have them to elevate the case to a higher level.
Solutions may take a long time, they will ask you to upgrade everything, and ask you to send an endless number of logs.

Merry Christmas
/jag

Accept or Kudo

david d_2
Frequent Advisor

Any update on this issue? I am experiencing an 18% failure rate on the DL380 G4's that I am responsible for. F/W at 2.84 and new batteries don't seem to resolve this issue.

Thanks for any assistance,
Dave
ValeNT

2 David D

1) On "Battery Fail" first time - change the battery. Who nows, may be you are lucky man

2) After "Battery Charged Ok" (few hours or a day) just wait and pray...

3) On second "Battery fail" (if less than 1 months passed) change the cache module AND _do_not_ change the battery!

4) Order new battery and cache module.

p.s. in 1 of 10 times on 3) you need to replace battery too. so - be ready.
Rayb16
Occasional Visitor

seeing this issue on a DL360 G4p. 2nd array battery. no change. removed battery today and checked voltage, it reads 1.8volts. the Battery is marked 3.6volts. I then powered up the server and tested the contacts in the battery holder, they measured 1.8volts.

So, either the array module that the battery plugs into is not charging the battery at the required 3.6volts, or the battery is supposed be a lower voltage battery (doubt it), or the array module is not supposed to charge the battery and is should hold a 3.6volt charge for a few years on its own.

I suspect the array module (accelerator) must be the culprit here. unless a firmware upgrade will actually change the output voltage from this array module.

Chris Dillon

I've just encountered this problem on a DL385 G1 with integrated SA6i and 128MB BBWC. It complained of a bad cache battery so I bought a new one (system is out of warranty) and plugged it in. I noticed that after several hours it still hadn't reached a charged state so I put a multimeter on the battery-holder terminals with the battery removed and only measured 2.5V output. With the battery installed it dropped to 2.2V and steadily rose about 10mV per second. You can't charge a 3.6V battery with only 2.5V! I'll be trying a new cache module next.
Rayb16
Occasional Visitor

Replacing the Array Accelerator Board has fixed this issue, it has solved the problem on two servers.
Glenn Buck

I have been troubleshooting this issue on ONE of 4 DL380's I have at one site for months:

1) I updated the 6i to the latest firmware - no luck

2) I replaced the battery - no luck

3) I replaced the battery a second time thinking that the first replacement battery was old stock, bad, etc - no luck

4) I replaced the cache module and battery (again) and cleared NVRAM - no luck
At this point - the post message stated that the cache battery was not fully charged

5) I allowed the server to run for 24 hours and powered down - removed battery - and verified that there was 3.6 volts at the battery - so the warning is clearly incorrect. Also at this point - the post message changed and stated that the cache battery had FAILED (as opposed to simply stating that the battery was not fully charged as it did immediately after changing the cache module and battery).

At this point - I'm leaning toward simply removing the cache module and battery as this server is simply a BDC that does not do a great deal other than running BackupExec and off site backup client. But I do have a fair amount of time invested in this issue and would like to find a solution.
Wayne
Frequent Advisor

Third time we have this BBWC problem now with DL380 G6 server and 410i, replaced the battery with a new one, but after 3 days the ESX4.1 sensors still tell us "partially charged" warning message.

In fact there is still not a HP System Management Homepage available for ESXi4.1 we have to trust the ESXi sensors and believe them the battery is still not fully charged.

So next step would be to replace the cache module.

These battery problems since years is very annoying.
RHCEv6

I solved this issue on a BL465G6 by taking 50PSI clean compressed air and blowing out the pins on the cache card and where it sits on the MB.  As the cache is very near the front it will get the worst of any dust being pulled in over time.

The key here is to use CLEAN OIL-FREE/MOISTURE-FREE compressed air.