5430 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2 different versions of command view on same server

inex
Super Advisor

2 different versions of command view on same server

Hi,

My customer has got an EVA3000 and one EVA4000.
He is using Command view 8 to manage both EVA's, but he has no valid license for the EVA3000 and it will stop working in 30 days. Can he install an older CV version on the same server for using towards the EVA3000?
Will CV versions 3x/4x work together with CV8 on the same server.

Thanks

-inex
11 REPLIES 11
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I don't think you'll be able to do this, as the two versions of Command View EVA will probably try to listen on the same network port...

Bear in mind though that the EVA3000 won't stop working when the license expires... Your customer will just lose the ability to add new vdisks etc.

Cheers,

Rob
TTr
Honored Contributor

The commandview server has a config file /etc/opt/sanmgr/commandview/server/config/* that you could modify to make it listen to a different port. However the client config file does not have a port entry to set. Also you would have to install the whole bundle in a different directory tree and there are the CIM/hostagent/watchdog to account for. Take a look at "swlist -l fileset CMDVIEWSDM" to see all the products involved. I don't think CV is meant to be configurable like this so I would leave it alone.
inex
Super Advisor

Thanks to both of you. I guess I need to try it. I sit possible to run CV on an vm/Esx environment?

-inex
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No it's not possible to run Command View EVA under VMware, as far as I know.

CV EVA needs to have direct access to the FC HBAs, that isn't possible when using a virtual machine.

Cheers,

Rob
inex
Super Advisor

ok, thanks, another possibility is to buy a cheap fc card an put in a windows server and run the old cv version on that one. The customer wants the have the possibility to manage the old EVA3000 which is used for backup staging. But I think I read somewere that newer versions of CV is using other ports than the earlier versions

-inex
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Early versions of Command View EVA did use a different port number, if I remember correctly, however if your customer is already using CV EVA v8 to access the EVA3000, that implies that he has the VCS on the EVA3000 at a current version.

I very much doubt that an old version (v3 or v4) of Command View EVA will be able to manage a recent version of VCS.

Cheers,

Rob
TTr
Honored Contributor

Like Rob said, the CV server component talks to the EVA over a direct (or zoned) fabric connection so the windows server with an FC card should work fine.
inex
Super Advisor

Thanks again
The customer used an older CV version to manage the EVA3000 before. (not sure which version he had) then we scratched the appliance server and installed CV8, but as I said it will stop working managing the EVA3000 in 30 days time.

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I would be tempted to try and get hold of a copy of Command View EVA 6 if you can.

That should be able to manage both the EVA3000 and EVA4000, and doesn't enforce the LTU (License To Use).

The other option of course, is to ensure that your customer is running the EVA legally, by purchasing the correct licenses !

Cheers,

Rob