New Discussion юеВ

AUTO RAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

AUTO RAID

Hello,

I attached an HP auto Raid box to an HP9000 and am tring to get it rolling. It's an older auto raid bon, magical to me. Some kind of raid I am not familiar with. However, I have only two disk, so I can't use raid until the additional drives arrive. How can I use these 2 18 GB drives for storage on the raid box? So far, I have included them, but get an error message of 'not enough disks'. I know this can be done because I bought it from a 3rd party that way. I recently formatted the LUN's and LV. In sam, I can only see the controller, not the disks. When I do an ioscan, I can see both disks. HELP PLEASE.

Thanks,
Bob
UNIX IS GOOD
9 REPLIES 9
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: AUTO RAID

Is it a 12H??

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

Yes it is Harry. Not sure how to do this. Not sure of all steps. I think I bind a LUN. Include the disks via the 12H. Then I am fogged. Can you help?
UNIX IS GOOD
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The minimum supported AutoRAID configuration is using 4 disks.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You cannot see the disks using ioscan, because it only sees the LUNs you create. So those disks must other disks in your configuration, not AutoRAID disks.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

Thanks Harry,
I was able to use this for storage. I had to include first, bind second. Now I used LVM to create a filesystem. I have 1 18GB drive as storage, the other 18GB drives seems to be an alternate link. Why I am not sure, but I am happy. Thanks again,

Bob
UNIX IS GOOD
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Vince is correct, that the two lun's you are seeing are ones that either existed prior. There is a minimum number of disks and Vince is probably correct that it is at least four. I've never tried to use the disks in an 12H without using raid. And I haven't been able to find any docs on it.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The minimum supported configuration on AutoRAID is:

3 fan modules
4 disk modules
2 power supply modules
2 controller modules

I got this from the SCSIFCARRAY course notes I did in HP France this September.
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

OK thanks, I did get the two disks configured. 1 primary 1 alternate. One question, and I'll back out. Any idea how to find out what drive speed these are? I need to order the same.

Thanks,
Bob
UNIX IS GOOD
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

you can tell by
arraydsp -d
where id is returned by arraydsp -i
ie the serial number

You can also tell by looking at the fan modules.

If your fans have plastic bubble fan symbols they're 10krpm fans otherwise only 7200 rpm drives are supported (it'll overhead otherwise)

arraydsp -a

should give you all you need.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)