7148 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adaptek Durastor 7220S Fibre Channel

Rafael Noas_1
Advisor

Adaptek Durastor 7220S Fibre Channel

Hi all!
I have a A server with a A5158A FC HBA and a IBM SHARK connected together in a private_loop and all is ok, I can see the configured disks.
At the same time I'm trying to connect a FC external disk array, Adaptec Durastor 7220S, to the same server but without succes. My question is: Do you think that I can do something on the unix box, fcmsutil, etc, to correct the problem or do you think that all conf must be done at the durastor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rafael.
7 REPLIES 7
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Adaptek Durastor 7220S Fibre Channel

DOes Adpatec state any support for the Durastor on HP-UX? Sharks and Durastors and Surestore XP's are not your father's plain old disks. There are some driver+array specific features that may not be compatible...Ask Adaptec.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Rafael Noas_1
Advisor

Thanks Bill,

a have already contacted adaptec for supp but the answer was:
"I believe it should work, the only issue will be configuring it. We have not had any experience using it under HP-UX. Sorry"

Cool! Don't you think?

Anywhere, I don't understand the reason why I can't see the durastor when I can see the Shark, the OS seens to be ok with the fc hba online and in a private_loop...seens to me that I must to inprove my knowledgment of FC tech.

Rafael.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Wow - that's what their support said?

That's customer service for you!

Adaptec's documentation say it's "OS independent". In other words, "you're on your own".

There isn't much you can do from the HP-UX side - it's all auto-sensing.

From the array side, make sure it's in 1Gb mode, private FC-AL. The A5158A card cannot do 2Gb, and the array may not be autosensing (their docs didn't say).

Also be sure that you're at the latest HP-UX patch levels - we've fixed a number of incompatability issues with patches.

Are you using a FC switch?

Good luck!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Rafael Noas_1
Advisor

The problem is in part resolved. When I use a switch then I can see and use the durastor, but without the switch, in ptp mode, is still not working. Recommendation to the customer: buy a switch.

Thanks for help!

Rafael
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Rafael,

By definition, you cannot run ptp mode without a switch. I suspect this is your problem. You *must* be in loop mode.

Good luck!
Rafael Noas_1
Advisor

Sorry, I made a mistake writing...but I thought LOOP.

Thanks.
Rafael.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Hmm...

Check your loop mode... HP-UX supports only private loop - public loop is not supported (although it always seems to work for me, it's not supported for some reason.)

Also, loop id's - check that your ALPA or loop id is unique to the server. If you have two loops with the same id, it can cause problems.

Good luck!

Oh - thanks for the new hat! That last point you gave me got me there!