Disk Enclosures
1748073 Members
4678 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding Drives to HP smart array 5i RAID 5

Michael J McReady

Adding Drives to HP smart array 5i RAID 5

I currently have 3 73G drives in a RAID 5 array running on a ML380 with a HP smart array 5i controller. I need to increase the capacity and I am looking to add two additional 73G drives (same model as existing drives) but want to avoid having to rebuild the array and then restore the data.

Is there any way to just expand the existing array with the additional drives.
3 REPLIES 3
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding Drives to HP smart array 5i RAID 5

With most SA controllers you can expand an array and then extend the LUN within it.... all online. However depending on the OS running on the system, getting this to see the extra space varies.

However I would seriously only do this online if I couldn't get the downtime, and then only if I had proven my backup.

Check out the manual for your SA5i for EXPAND and EXTEND functionality.

I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Michael J McReady

Thanks for your assistance. I have found the same information as you identified. From what I have found once I extend the array I would have to use a thrid pary tool such as Acronis to re-partition the disk to make the space availble to the OS on the same logical drive. This whole process could take many, many hours (30 or more).
RichardL

I've just carried out a similar expansion with a DL380 server adding a 36GB drive. The HP ACU extended the array size pretty quickly - not sure how long as I left it overnight but it was finished when I returned 10 hours later. To extend the OS (w2k Advanced Server) partition, I used diskpart.exe and it worked instantly without even requiring a reboot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304736/en-us