1748137 Members
3741 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding Drives to an MSA20

James Flowers
Occasional Advisor

Adding Drives to an MSA20

We've had an MSA20 with 8 250GB drives attached to an ML350 at our business for quite a while. Recently our storage needs increased, so I purchased four additional 1000GB drives. The 8 250GB drives are in slots 1-8, and the 4 1000GB drives are in 9-12. My problem is that only the drive in slot 10 shows up in the Array Config Manager. I've tried swapping the order of the new drives to no avail, it doesn't appear that any of the drives are defective. Looking at the Storage system information page, the "Internal Storage System Bus 1" has 8 drive bays and the "Internal Storage System Bus 2" has 4. All 8 of the pre-existing 250GB drives are on bus 1 (labeled as port 1), and the one 1000GB drive that shows up (slot 10) is on bus 2 (labeled as port 2).

Upon inserting the drives into the array chassis, 10 will have a green light and then all of the lights will turn off. 9, 11, and 12 all have amber lights.

I've tried rebooting the server and array, and updating the ACU and System Manager Homepage.

If you guys need any more information about our setup let me know.
17 REPLIES 17
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
it looks like some sort of incompatibility between the new disk drive firmware and the ML350 array controller firmware. Can you list the old/new harddisks vendor/model/current firmware, as well as the ML350 array controller firmware versions pls?
the pain is one part of the reality
James Flowers
Occasional Advisor

The array controller is a StorageWorks Modular Smart Array 20 Controller, firmware version 1.24, s/n P6C8C0FMQR773U

The "Internal Storage System Bus" #1 and #2 both list 2.36 as the Firmware version, 8 as simply the "Version", and 0 as the Board Revision. The are both serial number E0E7MLJ144.

The new 1000GB drives are Seagate models, s/n ST31000340AS, firmware version SD15.

The old 250GB drives are HP original Maxtors, 7 of which are model number 7Y250M0, one is model number 6L250S0. Firmware version is YAR511W0 on the 7, BACE1G10 on the odd one.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
there are unfortunately 2 visible problematic points:
a) msa 20 houses up to twelve 1" Universal hot pluggable SATA 1.5Gb/s drives, but your new ST is SATA 2
b) There are not the 1TB SATA disks yet in the HP list

Links:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=420055

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SupportTaskIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=420469&taskId=110

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/serial/sata/index.html

James Flowers
Occasional Advisor

The 1000GB drive have jumpers for SATA1/1.5Gbps mode, and they are set for that.

Thanks for the links.
James Flowers
Occasional Advisor

Also the one thing that seems really strange to me is that the 1000GB drive in slot 10 on the chassis shows up and works just fine. I can create a logical disk and everything. It's just 8, 11, and 12 that don't show up. Should I update the firmware?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

can you list also the host controller model/firmware pls?
James Flowers
Occasional Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean, are you talking about the array controller in the MSA20, the "Smart Array 20"? I listed the model/firmware for that in my second post. Or the controller card in our ProLiant ML350?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

yes the conroller card in ml350, we will try to search the supported firmware combination of both controllers for your disk if it is somewhere :-)
James Flowers
Occasional Advisor

I'm a bit confused here. Looking at the SCSI and RAID controllers section of the device manager, I see three things: two of "LSI Adapter, Ultra 320 SCSI 2000 series, (with 1020/1030)" (the two ports on our SCSI card I'm assuming) and a "Smart Array 6400 Controller" When I look at the Insight Manager, the two drives in our ML350 chassis are listed under the Smart Array 6400 Controller.

On the Insight Manager under "Mass Storage" there is something called "Storage System E0E7MLJ144 (1)" The controller listed is simply the "StorageWorks Modular Smart Array 20" which I assume is the long name of "MSA20". It's listed as being SCSI attached (which it is, to our SCSI card in a slot on the motherboard of the ML350.) My thought is that the firmware on the MSA20 would be the important bit.

So you're asking for the firmware and model of the SCSI card in the ML350? I'm not sure how to find out the firmware version, but as I mentioned I believe its listed as a "LSI Adapter, Ultra 320 SCSI 2000 series, (with 1020/1030)"

The vendor ID is listed as 1000 and the device ID is listed as 0030.

I'm not sure how the card in the ML350 would have anything to do with it, it's just a dumb SCSI connector that facilitates the connection to the MSA20, right? I thought that the firmware on the controller in the MSA20 chassis does all the hard work of dealing with the disks.