New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding Drives to an MSA20

IBaltay
Honored Contributor

James Flowers
Occasional Advisor

I'll try to upgrade the firmware on the MSA20 controller tonight and let you know what happens.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

dont forget to do the full backup before pls :-)
the pain is one part of the reality
James Flowers
Occasional Advisor

Will upgrading the firmware wipe out our current config? We don't really have the space to back up what's on there. The 8 250GB drives are set up in a RAID 5 array, which is about 1.6TB of data to deal with. It's nearly full.

Also, even if it did wipe out the current config would I be able to rebuild the array by setting it up exactly like it was before, but skipping the initialization step? (I belive this is the general procedure for most RAID arrays when there is a controller failure.)
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Yes, but it is always a must prerequisite even in "big" MSAs (1k, 1.5k, 2k) and even in EVAs to do the full backup for the worst possible scenario :-)
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

and they should be also the procedure of storing the current array config...
James Flowers
Occasional Advisor

I can backup the current configuration? How is this done?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

here you can find the 2 user guides, so it should be written there even if they are pretty old :-)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=420469