Disk Enclosures
1753742 Members
4929 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding MSA 30 to expand MSA1000 array...

Shane Bryan_1

Adding MSA 30 to expand MSA1000 array...

I have added the MSA30 to my Dual Path MSA1000, and powered it up, but only drives 8-14 on bay 3 are identified by the MSA1000 controller, and therefore the ACU.

What have I missed in configuration that will allow the ACU (and controllers) to see and make available for configuration all 14 drives?
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding MSA 30 to expand MSA1000 array...

It sounds like you have the "Model MSA30 DB" which is a dual bus expansion shelf. Does your MSA30 have 3 LVD scsi connections on it?

If so, then you will ned to either have the unit replaced with the MSA30 SB model or have HP send you a single bus interface module to replace your dual bus interface module.

Alternatively, you can get another LVD cable and connect the second expansion bus on the MSA1000 to the second bus on the MSA30 and utilize the whole shelf. You will lose out on the expansion capability in the future, but it will work now.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Shane Bryan_1

Sorry for the late response, I've been out of the office.

> It sounds like you have the "Model MSA30 DB" which is a dual bus expansion shelf.

You are correct, that is what was ordered.

> Does your MSA30 have 3 LVD scsi connections on it?

Um, not sure? Being rather new to these devices, I assume you are refering to the Low Voltage Differential external SCSI connectors, correct? If so, then NO, only two U320 connectors, A and B.

>If so, then you will ned to either have the unit replaced with the MSA30 SB model or have HP send you a single bus interface module to replace your dual bus interface module.

>Alternatively, you can get another LVD cable and connect the second expansion bus on the MSA1000 to the second bus on the MSA30 and utilize the whole shelf. You will lose out on the expansion capability in the future, but it will work now.

Ok, I again am a bit confused.

My MSA1000 is a Dual controller (active passive) configured array, with an Ultra3 dual channel bus (best as I can tell). When I ordered the MSA30, I ordered the DB version which came with two cables.

I connected Channel A on MSA1000 to Channel A on MSA30, and channel B to channel B.

I fully confess I have limited understanding of this hardware class (MSA) and my order assistance has been less than ideal.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

My mistake, you should only have 2 LVD (typo).

Any reason why you ordered a Dual bus shelf instead of a single bus shelf leaving the 4th bus open for future expansion?

If you connected A to A and B to B and the MSA1000 only see's drives 8-14, then you might have an issue with the LVD interface or maybe even the cable. I have seen bad cables.

Have you tried a different cable? If you determine it is not the cable, then your best bet is to open a service call with HP and have them replace the SCSI interface.

In the meantime, try swapping the cables...

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)