Disk Enclosures
1752749 Members
4973 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding a larger drive to a Raid 1 config.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Josh Rose_1

Adding a larger drive to a Raid 1 config.

Hey all,

I have a DL360 with 2 140 gig drives in a Raid 1 configuration. Basically both drives are mirrored so it acts as only 1 140 gig drive. There are two partitions on the array, a C: and a D:. We are running out of space on both partitions so we've ordered up 2 300 gig drives to replace the 140's.

My questions is, what is the best way to do this upgrade? Will just yanking one of the 140's and putting in a 300 and having the array rebuild itself work? I want the extra space to get allocated to the partitions, and not just be a chunk of unallocated space...

Any advice is much appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

Josh

4 REPLIES 4
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding a larger drive to a Raid 1 config.

Josh,

You will need to replace one of the disks, let it rebuild, then replace the other, and let it rebuild. You will then have a mirror on the 2 bigger disks.

You will then need to expand the LUN on the controller, and use the appropraite tool in your O/S i.e Diskpart on Windows to stretch the partitions.

There have been some other threads on this in the past that may prove useful to you.

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor
Solution

Josh,

Sorry, that should of said expand the array and extend the LUN on the controller.

Jeff
Josh Rose_1

Let me know if this would work:

We have a C: and a D:, and I read that you can only extend the D: with Windows.

Could I use Norton Ghost to ghost the original drives to an image file on a usb2 HD, and then swap in the larger drives, and restore the ghost image to those. You can pick the partition sizes in Ghost when you go to restore, so I would just make both partitions bigger before I restored the image.

Would this work? And would I need to do anything else in Windows after the restore?

It seems like this would be much easier and quicker then having the arrays rebuild and then extending them...
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Josh,

If downtime is not so much of an issue, then it sounds reasonable in theory.

I've never had much luck with Norton Ghost from a SCSI server perspective (driver issues, but I haven't used the latest versions), and only really use it personally for IDE backup/restore operations. Your mileage may vary though.

J