1753311 Members
6785 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding a mirror.... confused....

Celic

Adding a mirror.... confused....

Hi all,

Recently our company has purchased a new DL360. By default it came with 1 SAS harddisk.

I then purchased another SAS harddisk and wish to form a mirror to protect my data.

I tried to use "Array Configuration Utility 7.80.6.0" to form the mirror but don't know how.

For some reason, the "Expand Array" option is not there... Screenshot attached.

Any comment is appreciated. Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding a mirror.... confused....

First you must select "SAS Array A" and add the unassigned drive to it. Then convert the existing RAID 0 logical unit to RAID 1.

But, the Smart Array 200i needs the optional BBWC to be able to do the online RAID expansion and RAID level migration, see QuickSpecs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12460_div/12460_div.html

Addition of the battery backed cache upgrade enables BBWC, RAID 5, Capacity Expansion, RAID migration, and Stripe Size Migration.
Celic

Thank you for your respond.

Simply saying, I need another piece of hardware in order to do online RAID expansion...

Hmmm... What about doing it offline? Is there a tutorial that I can learn the steps?

Thank you again.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

You need the BBWC to do any changes to the array without having to delete it and create a new one on it's place.
As stated on the quickspecs, you cannot add disks to the RAID, change the RAID level, change LUN size or stripe size without the BBWC.
Celic

Thank you for you respond.

I guess the only way is to purchase the BBWC.... or otherwise, I'll need to clone the current hardisk, destory the array, form a RAID 0+1, then restore the data...