1751704 Members
5716 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding drives to RAID 5

Tyson T
Occasional Advisor

Adding drives to RAID 5

I have a ProLiant ML350 G5 with a 3-disk RAID-5 (3x 72 Gb). The controller is a Smart Array E200i in Embedded Slot. The array is configured with 2 logical drives each of which are a basic disk in Windows bearing their own drive letters of C: and E:. Both drives are pretty much tapped on space, so I need to increase the size of both.

What is the best way to go about doing this? Can I just add a few more 72 Gb disks and then use the ACU software to increase the allotted amount to each logical drive? I am fairly new to dealing with RAID and I am the IT department here so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tyson
14 REPLIES 14
Clarete Riana
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding drives to RAID 5

Yes you can add more drives to increase the space. Most array configuration utilities let you do this in two steps. First one to expand the logical unit to add more disks. By doing this the logical drive will spread across the new disks( size remains the same). Second one to extend(increase the size) once the expand is complete.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You can extend the E: drive only.

The downside of having multible Logical drives on a Smart array, is that you can extend the upper/last logical drive only.

But are you sure that you have got 2 logical drives?
And not 1 logical drive, that are partitioned by the OS ?

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Clarete Riana
Valued Contributor

>>>The downside of having multible Logical drives on a Smart array, is that you can extend the upper/last logical drive only.

Well, this is not true on most smart arrays. I am not sure about E200i. Most other smart array controllers allow extension of all logical drives in a disk group. Is this a limitation specific to E200i?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I have been told that it's a limitation on the smart array controllers.

but if that is wrong I would love to be put correct.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Clarete Riana
Valued Contributor

I have extended all luns(not only the top most) on SA6400, SA5300, SAP400 and even on MSA1000 and MSA1500. I have never used a E200i, so I am not sure about it. When a lun is extended, the other luns may go into "volume expansion" state to make place for the LUN that is extending.
Tyson T
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for your help. I am attaching a png file that will hopefully answer whether I have 2 logical drives rather than 1 that is partitioned by the OS. I am pretty sure it is 2 logical drives as long as I am not missing or misinterpreting what I am seeing.
Clarete Riana
Valued Contributor

You do have two logical drives. Try extending the lower one and see if it works( If it is not allowed, it should fail with a valid error message). Do let us know the outcome.

Regards,
Clarete
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

>Riana, since you have tried. I suppose I have been told wrong :).

So I have trusted the wrong people.
Thanks for putting me right.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Tyson T
Occasional Advisor

Just want to update everyone that I am going to get to trying these suggestions just as soon as I can get the schools I am working for to buy the necessary drives. I am thankful for all your advice and will definitely post what worked and assign the points accordingly.. Just did not want anyone to think I had forgotten :)