4778 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding new disk enclosures to an EVA4000

Luiz Eduardo
Occasional Contributor

Adding new disk enclosures to an EVA4000

Hi,
This is an information that I d like to share with you guys. And perhaps useful for someone.

The procedure for adding enclosures to EVA 4000 is mentioned on page 4 of this attachment.
My case is described below:

Old situation: EVA4000 in 2C2D config.
New situation: plus 2 x M5314B enclosures.
I has placed the 2 new enclosures right above the controllers.

I has followed the directions, but 2 things are strange or not mentioned:

- after item 11.b (setting Loop A), unlike the manual, neither new disks and enclosures were present in Command View. Besides that, an ATTENTION warning was visible in all old disks and enclosures. In this point I was worried about this, but I decided to go ahead.

- after finished Loop B (item 13), the last thing to do is to plug EAB cable. Because there wasn't a free connector in existent cable, I needed to remove the terminator, put a extension (included in kit) and I plugged the terminator at the end of this extension. I connected the 2 new enclosures and waited a while for new addresses to the new devices (In my case, received #6 (on top) and #5 (below). After few minutes the general status of EVA was normal (no more ATTENTION alert), now with new enclosures and disks. This part of procedure is not totally covered by the manual guide I think.

(top)
- shelf 6 (new)
- shelf 5 (new)
- ctrl A - id 4
- crtl B - id 3
- shelf 2
- shelf 1

I hope this useful to someone who needs to do this kind of upgrade.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

You have the controllers incorrectly connected to EAB bus, they should use a Y cable, and connect to the same RJ-45, so they will have the same enclosure number (3).
John_246
Advisor

GDay Everyone,

I am about to face the same (or simmilar upgrade) and have a simmilar quesion. My enviroment is as follows:

(top)
Controller Enclosure 4
-> Controller B
-> Controller A
Disk Enclosure 3
Disk Enclosure 2
Disk Enclosure 1

At the moment "before" adding the new disk enclosure, Disk enclosure 1 is plugged into the first bottom plug on the EMU, Disk enclosure 2 is plugged into the second bottom plug, Disk enclosure 3 is plugged into the third and the controllers are pluged into the forth using the 'Y' cable. There is a terminator plug at the top and bottom of the EMU cable. Now the question I have is this: Considering I am going to physically going to install this shelf on the bottom, I am going to have remove the terminator at the bottom and attach the EMU extension and plug the terminator into that extension. Then I am going to plug the new drive shelf into the new bottom plug of the EMU cable. Doing so, will this make the new shelf "Disk Enclosure 5" or keeping the idea that it's a bottom up numbering system, will it renumber all the enclosures making the new bottom enclosure "Disk Enclosure 1". So basically will I get this:

(top)
Controller Enclosure 4
-> Controller B
-> Controller A
Disk Enclosure 3
Disk Enclosure 2
Disk Enclosure 1
Disk Enclosure 5 (new)

OR

(top)
Controller Enclosure 5
-> Controller B
-> Controller A
Disk Enclosure 4
Disk Enclosure 3
Disk Enclosure 2
Disk Enclosure 1 (new)

If the numbering will be all over the place can I actually manually renumber the Enclosure ID's ?

Thanks for any answers anyone may be able to give me.

Cheers

John
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Could you start a new thread for your question please...

Cheers,

Rob