New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding new disks to AutoRAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gillian Craigie_1
Occasional Advisor

Adding new disks to AutoRAID

Hi,

We are running AutoRAID on HP-UX 11.00 and have recently added new disks to increase the capacity. "Auto include" was switched on so the disks were included in the array, but we are not yet able to make use of the extra space.

My undestanding is that we need to create a new LUN then configure this into the operating system but I'm not entirely sure how this can be done. Should I use the "Bind LUN" option from within SAM in order to create a new LUN? Will this LUN then be treated as a new disk so I can create a new volume group and logical volumes?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Gillian.
4 REPLIES 4
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Gillian,

Well, you could leave the new disk un-allocated to increase performance but I'm guessing that's not why you added it. ;^)

You're right on track - use SAM's "Bind LUN". You could also use the ARM utility but I think you'll find SAM the easiest to deal with.

Pete

Pete
Gillian Craigie_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Pete.

Am I correct in my assumption that once the new LUN is created I can then go on and create volume groups and logical volumes as normal? Also (I should have asked this in my original question) is this a procedure that can be done when users are on the system or is a backup recommended beforehand, with minimal activity on the system while the LUN/vg/lvols are created?

Thanks again,

Gillian.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

This should be non-disruptive for the users and, since you're not changing any existing configurations, it's one of the few times when you don't really need to run a backup first (though it never hurts).

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Oops - Yes, VG and LV creation proceed as normal.

Pete

Pete