108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Adding new disks to Eva 3000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ronny312

Adding new disks to Eva 3000

Hello everyone!

I have an HP eva3k (2C2D-C CTO 8/72 GB/15k ALL) disk array.
I need to add 4 new hard drives.(72GB hot-swap dual-port Fiber Channel (FC) – 15,000 RPM)
Please advise how to perform it correctly.
Can it be done on line?

I'haven't found any guide regarding this issue.
Thank you in advance!
6 REPLIES 6
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Adding new disks to Eva 3000

Yes, you can insert the disks directly, they are hot-plug. Insert one by one and wait at least a minute between one and the next. Check that the new disk appears on Command View.

After you have plugged-in all disks, add them all at the same time to the disk group.
DogBytes
Valued Contributor

Ronny312,

In addition to vcespon's reply, I would recommend you confirm the firmware level on the disks and upgrade if required. You can do this with Command View before grouping the disks.
Ronny312

Dear - R

Thank you for your advise! How can i verify this?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

In command view. If you click on the new disk, the right windows pane will display information about the disk, including the serial number, size and firmware version.

Another way to see if they ned an update is to run the Disk Upgrade. Donwload the latest firmware bundle, put it on the Command View Server, log into command view and go to the code load wizard. There should be an option to load disk firmware.

The first ting it does it check all the disks and reports which need an upgrade and which don't. You don;t need to follow through with it, but it is a relatively easy process.

As long as your firmware is the latest, you sould be able to do it "online".

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
DogBytes
Valued Contributor

I wasn't sure if the online method that Steven mentioned would be available on your EVA3000.. perhaps with later firmware. Anyway with only four disks it's not a difficult task to do before grouping.

You can download the May 2009 bundled image from:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3302267&prodNameId=3351789&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-71198-1

Ideally, use the online method for all the disks (grouped and ungrouped) if this option is available to you. Otherwise, do one at a time using the code load option for the ungrouped disk.

Hope that helps.
Ronny312

Thank you everyone!

Everything worked fine.
Online methoв works