4194 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding space on LUN on EVA 3000 for hpux volume group

Tapas Jha
Valued Contributor

Adding space on LUN on EVA 3000 for hpux volume group

Dear All,

I am new on the below mentioned environment.

We have EVA 4000 connected with one rp7420(2 npar and each npar having
2 vpar) and 2 rp3420 series servers. All servers running on clustered.

We have command view running. We have created two disk groups, one for UNIX and other for Windows.

For Unix disk group we have created seperate LUNs for each nodes. Now my one LUN (vg02 on one node) is getting full and i want to add more space on that LUN.

How do i do this with the steps involved in each servers, on command view, from EVA( I want to know if any package need to be halt, with stepwise from begining)?

If you have any good document for managing EVA,Servers (adding/deleting space on Diskgroup/LUNs.. etc) , then i will be highly obliged.

I want a good document for EVA-Hp-ux-windows front if you have for above type of problems.

With thanx,
Tapas Jha
Tapas Jha
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Don't try to expand existing virtual disks that are used by HP-UX, because PVs (physical volumes) cannot grow.

You need to create additional virtual disk(s), present them to the server(s), set them up as PVs and add them to the volume group.
Robert Dobalina
Valued Contributor

Expanding disks on an EVA is easy. The work is getting the Hosts to see the expanded data online. In a previous thread we discussed that HPUX cannot expand a volume online while windows with diskpart can.

The commandview documentation should discuss removing and adding disks from a disk groups as well as shrinking and enlarging luns but the gist is all online.

Hp usually will not give help on diskpart as it is a microsoft tool but check the knowledge base.
Tapas Jha
Valued Contributor

Thanks Rober and Zessin for your reply.

I want some documentation on managing EVA 4000, hp-ux and windows stepwise ( like earlier said how to add more space on volume group online(from eva and from hp-ux host) and will be visible from host?). It would be great if anybody have this.

Tapas Jha
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi Tapas,

Uwe suggestions is right. You must add another virtual disk, present them to the server and then add them to the related vg.

Docs for EVA:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00606481/c00606481.pdf

Docs for HPUX:
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90950/B2355-90950.pdf

I hope it helps.

regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
Tapas Jha
Valued Contributor

Sandy,
You are right and i have those documents. Thanks a lot.

What i also want if any system administrator has any good document with proper steps for EVA and hp-ux and if they can share then it would be great help to me.

regards
Tapas
Tapas Jha