Disk Enclosures
1752777 Members
5917 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

After I replace one disk of Autoraid 12h ......??

palm
Occasional Contributor

After I replace one disk of Autoraid 12h ......??

After I replace the fault disk of Autoraid 12h with a new one, I find the front pannel turn to READY from SYSTEM WARNING only taking tens seconds.It is included and not a hotspare disk .Why?
5 REPLIES 5
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: After I replace one disk of Autoraid 12h ......??

That is normal if you have only a small fraction of the array's capacity configured as LUN's. In that case, the array can balance itself very quickly.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
palm
Occasional Contributor

But i find LUN is bigger
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

As much capacity LUN has as much time it will take to rebuild. BTW, if you lose disk array does 'rebuild', but when replacing/adding disk it will do 'balancing'.
Please make sure you have latest firmware on 12h (HP62). If you're in doubt you can check array's state issuing 'arradsp -a' command
There's no dedicated hotspare disk in 12h. Hotspare capacity is spread across all disks
Eugeny
Kevin Addison
Occasional Advisor

The Autoraid will have either rebuilt to a hotspare area (the hotspare area on an autoraid is spread across all the disks and is not one disk) or if the disk failed a while ago the array may have rebalanced itself. When you replace the faulty disk and it spins up and comes ready and as long as the disk is acceptable to the array, the array comes READY.

Depending on how busy and how full the array is, a re-balance will take place at some point.
On very busy arrays this may not start for several hours or until I/O quiesces.

Kevin
Remote Systems Support
Occasional Advisor

I have seen the system warning appear after a disk replacement if the new disk was previously used in a different array. An "arraydsp -a serialnum" would show the state of the new disk. If "previously used" then you need to force the array to use the new disk. You can force it to be included with the menu on the front of the array or with arraycfg.
testing is for wimps.....