1748348 Members
5487 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Allocating FreeSpace on VA7100

Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

Allocating FreeSpace on VA7100

OK - I promise this will be my last VA7100 question (for today anyway).

The firmware upgrade to HP15 has been completed. I have switched the system to HPAutoRAID and now how 80 Gig of unallocated space.

I would like to add 60 Gig of the space to my Oradata filesystem and 20 Gig to my Exports file system. Right now each of those filesystems is comprosed of one Volume Group (mapped to one device) with one Logical Volume created on it.

I am wondering if I can just add the space to the existing VGs, or do I need to create new VGs for the unallocated space and then somehow combine them witht the existing ones?

Also, is there a step I need to do before I can create a VG (like create a LUN)? I found a command line (armcfg) to create a LUN, but I don;t see an equivalent option in SAM. Am I missing something?

3 REPLIES 3
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Re: Allocating FreeSpace on VA7100

Hi Jeanine,

If you want to increase the size of existing lv's, i would suggest you add the new lun's to the existing vg itself and then do a lvextend mentioning the name of this pv.

proceed like this,

pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/cxtydz
(new disk / lun)

vgextend /dev/vg_name /dev/dsk/cxtydz
umount /dev/vg_name/lv_name
lvextend -L size_in_MB /dev/vg_name/lv_name /dev/dsk/cxtydz
extendfs /dev/vg_name/rlv_name

You will not have to unmount the lv if you have onlineJFS on this box. Then you can use the fsadm command.

Hope this helps.

Regds

Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

Sanjay - Thanks - I ended up placing a software call because it was just a little too overwhelming for me.

For anyone else that might read this, here are the steps I took:

armcfg -L # -a size -g 1 array_name
(to create the new LUNs)

insf -C disk
(to create the device files)

ioscan -fnC disk
(to get the device names that were created)

pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c#t#d#
(to create the physical volumes)

vgextend /dev/vg# /dev/dsk/c#t#d#
(to extend the volume group)

lvextend -l size /dev/vg#/lvol#
(to extend the logical volume)

fsadm -F vxfs -b size /filesystem_name
(to increase the filesystem size)
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeanine,

Thanks for the results. I was not aware that you wanted to create a lun too. I thought you have already created a LUN and were asking whether you should create a new VG or add it to an existing VG.

Thanks for the results though.

Regds
Sanjay