Disk Enclosures
1753511 Members
5387 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Anyone have experience putting 72G drives in a 12H?

Robert Bennett_3
Respected Contributor

Anyone have experience putting 72G drives in a 12H?

I have a 12H with 36G drives and was wondering if I could purchase 72G drives and swap out the disks in the sleds - or something to that effect.
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible." - Norman Maclean
3 REPLIES 3
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience putting 72G drives in a 12H?

Robert,

I would bet that you get into trouble trying this...

if you do not need a supported config and want to save money, why don't you simply buy another used 12H or similar.

Regards,
Bernhard
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi Robert,

You can not increase size like this. But in case of some failure you might be able to put a 72GB disk in place of 36GB. But in that case you will be able to use it only 36 GB of it. It is not tested but it should work.Just test if you have some spare resources to do that and let us also know.

Try to avoid this on a running system.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Robert Bennett_3
Respected Contributor

Thanks guys

This is a system at home - so not a production system - I know that this wouldn't be supported, and I don't expect it to be.

Let me re-phrase this - Do you know of any limitation of the autRAID to prevent it from addressing 72G drives, assuming they were the same SCSI format?
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible." - Norman Maclean