5211 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Array Device Failure

tee356
Occasional Advisor

Array Device Failure

Hi,

I have a Proliant ML350G3 with Windows 2003 installed. It has three 36.4 GB drives Raid5. One of the drive has a RED light on it when rebooting the server. I was assuming the drive was bad, so after the windows finish rebooting, I replaced the hard drive. The rebuild process seems to start automatically, but it took too long; it has been two days now and the server is running very slow. I can't hardly access anything on the server. I don't remember it took this long the last time I have to replace a hard drive. I looked in the server log and it has an error "1786-Drive array Recovery needed..." and error on the next line "Drive array device failure..." Is it possible that the array controller bad as well the hard drive? Trying to open any program on the server doesn't respond. Looking at the replace hard drive, the light is still blinking all the time. Your comment will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: Array Device Failure

I have 2 questions regarding the state of the lights on the disks:

"One of the drive has a RED light on it when rebooting the server" And it stayed red after that?

"Looking at the replace hard drive, the light is still blinking all the time" The center green LED or the red drive fault LED?

Center LED blinking green means controller is trying to rebuild the RAID. When after replacing a disk it does not rebuild it's usually because there was another disk failing on the set. and every attempt to rebuild fails with a read or write error.

It would help a lot if you can generate an ADU report of that server
tee356
Occasional Advisor

Hi vcespon,

Thanks for your response.

To answer to your questions:
The drive has red light on it when I spot there's a problem with the drive. It happened while I am in the process of rebooting the server. It asked to press F1 (disable logical drive) or F2 (continue and fixing the problem or something like that); I think I selected F2. Once the server up, I replaced the failed hard drive. The light on the replace hard drive is GREEN and blinking continuely; the arrow on the replace hard drive is GREEN and SOLID.

It looks it is rebuilding, but it does take a long time since Friday (9th).

AS for ADU report, I can't generate it because most of the things I try on the server are very slow.

Thanks
tee356
Occasional Advisor

One more question. Is it ok to remove the replacement hard drive that I just plug in? Will my data intact until I order another replacement hard drive? Because this seems to get no where.

thanks
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

I would not advise it, as now it's in the middle of a rebuild. You could reboot the server and boot with a SmartStart CD to be able to run ADU and get information on what's going on there.

My guess: you have more than one drive with problems, and the rebuild process is finding read/write errors continously.
tee356
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again for your response. I will try that and let you know. Is it possible that the new hard drive defected?
tee356
Occasional Advisor

Hi vcespon,

I have attached the ADU report.

Thanks
tee356
Occasional Advisor

The replacement hard drive was defected. I ordered a new one and the server was up and running after 2 hours.

Thanks for all yours helps.