5825 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Array expansion

Khadafi
Occasional Contributor

Array expansion

Hi guys,

I have fileserver proliant DL 380 G3 with expansion slot which has fourteen 36,4GB harddrives. I want to replace all the drives with 72,8 disks. I have raid 5. I will add the drives to the expansion slot one by one and wait for rebuild.

Do you know how long the rebuild takes? once i have replaced all disks will i just expand the drive in ACU?

thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Depends on what your rebuild priority is set as on the array controller. The higher you set it, the quicker the rebuild..... but at the expense of system performance in the meantime !

It should be fairly quick, but many factors an affect the time (i.e speed of disks e.t.c.)

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Have a look at this -> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1057261
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

As stated, it depends on several factors.

Aside form priority... there is Amount of free available space, amount of used space and current i/o operation to the controller all effect the speed of the rebuild..

Generally, and in the perfect world... it should take 15 minutes per GB.

After the fact, you will then be able to either extend your logical drive(s) and/or create new logical drives.

Depending on your OS, it may be easy/complicated to extend your partitions.

What OS are you running?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Pradip Chakrabarti
Frequent Advisor

The least time taking procedure will be to take full verified backup, install all the 72GB hdds and configure array and restore backup. Sorry, don't know what will be the status of the array if someone is going to replace the hdd's one by one. But I can tell you that you will give up due to the time taken during rebuilding.
Can any one share the document of expansion/extention irrespective of Version of ACU?
Pradip Chakrabarti
Khadafi
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am running Windows 2000 server.
Pradip Chakrabarti
Frequent Advisor

You may refer
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/drives-enclosures/procedures_of_expanding_active_volume_with_W2000.pdf

Will appreciate if someone share the method irrespective of OS and Version of ACU for array expansion/extention ....
Thanks