Disk Enclosures
1748079 Members
5279 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

AutoPath XP for W2K Does Not recover consistently

AutoPath XP for W2K Does Not recover consistently

I'm seeing some strange behaviour from AutoPath XP on a W2K host when testing, here's my config:

W2K Server (SP3) with 2 HBAs (both Compaq FCA2101 which I thin are OEM'd Emulex 952L HBAs) With the latest drivers from the Compaq web site. AutoPath v02.00.00 installed.

Each HBA attached to an edge switch (Edge Switch 2/32 - HPs OEM'd McData switch) on seperate fabrics. Each edge switch ISL'd to a core FC64 switch (again an OEM'd McData director).

XP512 attached to each core switch with a port on each cluster. 2 LUNs assigned to the W2K server, and visible out of each port.

AutoPath is installed and sees the two paths to the LUNs and does it's stuff OK... however when we test for a link failure we run into problems...

We pull the FC cable to the HBA out of one of the switches... after a short delay (20 secs or so) AutoPath detects the failure, but the disk remains accessible out of the other HBA. We then re-connect the FC cable, but AutoPath doesn't realise that the other connection is now available again. We've left it for up to 30 minutes, and it still doesn't realise the link is up... We know the link is back up because both the fabric management software (HAFM) and the HBA utility (lputilnt) report the link as up, but AutoPath doesn't register this.

Now here's the weird part... If we now disconnect the same cable again, and then plug it back in, AutoPath DOES see the link come back and reports both paths as available again!

Any clues to whats going on here would be appreciated.

On a seperate, but connected issue, we are using the latest miniport hba driver from the compaq website (this driver here: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/softwaredrivers/33mhzpcifibre/kgpsa-cb-482a9.html#win2000 ). One thing thats odd is that compaq don't seem to offer a port driver like emulex do (like this one here: http://www.emulex.com/ts/docfc/frame952l.htm ). The advantage of the port driver is that it lets me do LUN mapping (very useful when you have tape drives attached on the SAN), but I'm assuming that blowing emulex firmware onto the HBAs and using an emulex driver would not be supported.

Points for solutions/helpful answers...

Cheers

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
5 REPLIES 5
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Re: AutoPath XP for W2K Does Not recover consistently

I may be wrong, but I believe that this behavior is not wrong....

You really don't want AutoPath thrashing switching paths on failback. If the path is coming, going, coming, going, you want the AutoPath to ignore it while it does this.

Try modifying your testing a little for me, please - when you disconnect the cable, leave it out for at least 15 mins - then see if it fails back automatically when plugged in.

Thanks,

Vince

No matter where you go, there you are.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SYSTEM_CurrentControlSet_Services_lpxnds_Parameters_Device"
"DriverParameter"_"Reg_SZ"_"EmulexOption=0x00001000"
Eugeny

Vince,

No we already tried that - no dice!

Eugeny,

Also tried this - it made no difference.

But by way of an update... I took the plunge and replaced the FCA2101 firmware with the latest Emulex firmware for the 952L, and then installed the Emulex Port drivers from the site listed above. It was difficult to get the port drivers installed, as w2k wanted to revert to the compaq driver and complained a lot about the drivers not being right, but eventually I was able to install them and configure port and lun mappings.

And guess what - the port drivers appear to work just fine! Only problem is, this isn't a supported configuration...

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Jon Hill_3
Advisor

Which version of Auto Path are you using? We had a similar problem with AP1.03 (I had to personally demo the problem to HP reps before they believed me). 1.04 was better and 2.0 better still.

I still have occasional issues with 2.0 but this isn't one of them.

I'm on version 02.00.00

Will use 02.01.00 when I receive the CD

Cheers

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo