1752799 Members
6046 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AutoRAID Model 12H configuration question

Ted Mims
Occasional Advisor

AutoRAID Model 12H configuration question

I have two 12H's connected to a N4000 server. The server connects to the first array at y2 and x2. The first array connects to the second array from y1 to y2 and x1 to x2. I have terminated y1 and x1 on the seconde array. Is this an appropriate configuration? Everything seems to be working appropriately but I am consistently getting SCSI lbolt messages and when I execute arraydsp, I get an unknown controller state for controller x on both arrays. Thanks for any assistance you might offer.
2 REPLIES 2
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Your connections are fine. I assume that you do have termination "ON" or enabled at the host's controller. The bus must be terminated at BOTH physical ends of the bus -- generally the HBA serves as one terminator. It makes no difference what is connected at X1/X2; they are simply ends of the same bus. Of course, since the 'X' controllers from both AutoRAID's are on the same bus, they MUST HAVE different SCSI ID's. This is the first thing that I would check. The same, of course, applies to the 'Y' controllers as well. Another thing to check is that both buses are connected to an HVD/FWD controller. If your 'Y' buses were using an HVD SCSI controller and your 'X' bus were using a LVD SCSI controller that would certainly explain your problems. That the cables fit the connectors means absolutely nothing. You should also make certain that the terminators that you are using are HVD SCSI as well; yes, there is a difference even in terminators for HVD SCSI. You should also make certain that at least one device on each bus is supplying termination power.

I would check to see that both arrays are at the latest Firmware (HP62) release. Its easy to upgrade the firmware on these arrays; man "download" for details. I've upgraded the firmware on many, many of these old gals and never had a hiccup. You should use pvchange to increase the timeout on each LUN from its default of 30 seconds to 120-180 seconds.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Sijesh
Advisor

Hi,

I suggest you to go for 2 more HBAs to avoid this cascading. wihich can even improve the system perfomance considerably.

Sijesh