108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Autoraid 12H upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Actually, the 18GB drives came in 2 "flavors" - 7200RPM and 10000 RPM. If the little fan labels on the drive modules are flat then it's a 7200 RPM drive; it the little fan labels are reaised bubbles then it's a 10K drive. If you have all 7200 drives then no fan module upgrades are necessary.

BTW, 36GB drive modules (all 10K RPM) are available as well.

I would go ahead and upgrade the firmware to HP62 - it's easy and you can do it yourself - and no data is lost.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Actually 18GB disk modules came in two flavors: 7.2K and 10K RPM. If the little fan labels on the drive modules are flat then they are 7200 RPM drives; if little bubbles then 10K RPM - just like the fan modules. If all of your replace 18GB drives are 7.2K then you ddon't need the hi-speed fan modules.

You might try to find 36GB drives.

I would upgrade firmware to HP62; it's very easy to do and no data is lost.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Eric Schrauth
Advisor

What about the power supplies? Are there any options there or is that all there is?
Could be worse. Could be raining.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Eric,
read notice from that page I mentioned. You need to change fans in order to have 10K disks in. And nothing more. Then proceed with disk replacement
Eugeny
Eric Schrauth
Advisor

Thanks for all of the advise. Got the drives in and they are being installed one by one. What would be the most effective way to wipe these 4GB drive if I should want to resell them?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

It will surely work if you'll wipe them in autoraid with format. But as soon as you're taking them out of it it's not an option. I'm not sure, but maybe these drives will fit into Jamaica's A3312A slots?
Is it an option for reseller to wipe drives?
Eugeny
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

One little note, sorry... These disks should be single ended - be aware of it. Do not connect them to FWD/HVD busses (only to SE or LVD ones, although connecting to LVD is not the best option)
Eugeny
Eric Schrauth
Advisor

Purchased 12-18.2 SE drives so that was not a problem. Is there anywhere in the system where I can see how long it took to bring the drive online?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

As soon as balancing will finish, you can proceed with another drive. Time depends on data actually allocated and to be spread into new added disk. This process is low priority one, and happens in background. Thus to speed it up try to quiesce I/Os to array
Eugeny
Eric Schrauth
Advisor

According to hp, I don't have to wait for balancing to finish, but just have to wait for the array to rebuild. Balancing (as you said) will happen in the background and can be interrupted(?) if need be. Is there any indication that it is balancing? Also, hp said that when I pull a drive, I should wait until the array is done rebuilding before putting another drive in the array, because they have seen instances where putting another drive in the array "confuses" the array and causes you to loose all data! Has anyone seen this behavior?