1753442 Members
4737 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Boot problem

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Boot problem

I have a Proliant 4500R with the EISA Smart controller and it will not boot with partion bigger than 4 Gb. Is this a know problem ?

If I install Windows2000 I can boot from the CD and format the harddisk to 18 Gb but when rebooting it failes reading the harddisk.
If I make the partion to only 4 Gb it works.
6 REPLIES 6
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The problem is a limitation of the OS ....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Reply to Roger. How can it be related to the OS since the 18 Gb disk is working and boots perfect when using the builtin SCSI controller but when I try to use the SMART Array controller it fails.

/Ola
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

What is the firmware of the Smart Controller ?
When drive is attached to the Smart Controller , what OS do you select as the Operating System in the SCU ?
Do you reformat the drive or run the erase utility when the drive is attached to the Smart Array ?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The firmware I have been using is 2.16 and 2.26. I have been using Windows 2000 and Windows ME, both OS should not have any problems with big harddisks. I do not use the Smartstart CD since I only got tha 4.60 and it does not install the drivers for Windows 2000 properly. Completly clean install with deleting the partion on the harddisk and "fdisk /mbr".
As I said in the beginning when I use the built-in SCSI controller the harddisk works as it should and gives me a bootable 18 Gb partion and I am using it today but attaching the same harddisk to the Array controller gives me the boot failure "error reading harddisk".
/Ola
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The problem is not with the OS , as it turns out the problem is with the controller . The controller does not support the 18gb drive .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the answer Roger. Do you know if there is any plans of a newer firmware that has support for newer harddisk or is the product completly discontinued?

/Ola