1748288 Members
3347 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Break a Mirror Set on NetRaid ?

Barry Sinclair

Break a Mirror Set on NetRaid ?

Hi All:
Just inherited a netserver lc3 with netraid and(3)9gb drives. Mirrored first two drives, raid1 (Primary partition) and 3rd drive am using raid0 as stand alone.(Hardware level) Operating system is Windows NT4...PDC. Before putting on line would like to figure out, If drive fails on primary does mirrored drive automatically take over so login can continue? Then do I just replace the bad drive and do a rebuild or do I have to break the mirror if a drive fails and boot from the remaining drive that is okay. If I have to break the mirror where can I find the proper procedure to handle this operation or can someone tell us? Appreciate the help so we're prepared for an emergency in the future.
2 REPLIES 2
sandeep_3
Occasional Advisor

Dear friend
in case of mirrored patition at hardware level, u need not to bother abt the situation where one hard disk gets fail. second hard disk will automatically take over the first and in 'disk administrator' u can see the broken mirror.
however when u get new hard disk to replace the defective one, and through netraid utility u can rebuild.
i hope this will be useful to u.
never never never give up
Samir_23
Advisor

Hi

Since it is an hardware mirroring there is no need to use startup disk to boot. It will automatically boot through the secondery You can just replace the failed disk.But in software mirroring(NT mirroring)u have to use NT startup disk.
Pls fell free to post further queries regarding this

regards
renjith