1753821 Members
8431 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Business copy on RAW Oracle ASM + EVA setup

binoyskylark
Frequent Advisor

Business copy on RAW Oracle ASM + EVA setup

my site oracle RAC installed in hpux+eva4100+service guard setup. we are taking the BC snap clone of oracle databse (raw disk) and presenting to another server , oracle binaries already installed on another server . i am able to see the presented snap cloned RAW disk path on that server . how i can use that in data base ,

shortly production oracle databse (raw disks) BC has to be used on another server for development purpose ..how i can achieve it
Binoy.p.p
HP AIS Blade system Integration
3 REPLIES 3
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hmm, This is much more an Oracle challenge than an storage question. I would encourage you too ask the question in Oracle specific platforms, or ask the Oracle and Storage-works folks who sold the solution to you.

If this was 'normal' raw storage you would 'export control files ... ", copy to the other system, edit to reflect the new device names, start (resetlogs).

With ASM, need to start with the fresh ASM instance seeing the old data, and then the old 'device names' are now ASM files, witht he same name. So no changes needed I suspect.

Even though you use storage works, check out APPENDIX 1 in the following EMC/Oracle paper.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/asm/pdf/asm-on-emc-5_3.pdf

Good luck,
Hein.
Aashique
Honored Contributor

Hi,
After mount the SVOL to the another server, need to compile the oracle binary with RAC_OFF.After that you can use the database.

Thanks & Regards
Aashique

TTr
Honored Contributor

Like Hein said this is an oracle exercise. The database will most probably be is a crash state and you will need to do a database recovery.