1748165 Members
4201 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CVSDM 1.07

kholikt
Super Advisor

CVSDM 1.07

I have four servers connected to one VA7400 using the Fiberchannel.

I need to vgextend one of the vg in server2. How can I create a new LUN. CVSDM is only installed in server1. I have two redundancy groups can I use any of the redundancy group
abc
5 REPLIES 5
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Re: CVSDM 1.07

Hi,

CVSDM need not be installed on all the hosts that are connected to the VA. When you create a LUN on VA from the CVSDM host it will be visible on all other hosts (if you have not set host security).

Yes, you can create the LUN on either RG1 or RG2. However I would suggest you put the new LUN on different RG than the existing disk (LUN) of the VG that you are planning to extend. This will help you in achieving better IO rates and availablity.

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
kholikt
Super Advisor

Hi,

Just wondering how to check whether I have host security turn on or not.

How can I know the path of the LUN so that I can do the vgextend /dev/myvg path_to_LUN
abc
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

For enabling LUN security you should be having Secure Manager VA licenses. You can check if LUN security is enabled using the following command,

#armhost -r -f armhost.out array_id
Reading Host Port Behavior entries from the array ...
Writing output file ...100%
Host Port Behavior data has been read
and written to the file : armhost.out

If it is enabled the o/p file will contain entries something like this. (WWN Number - HOST port behaviour format)

#cat armhost.out
50060b000008314f HPUX
50060b00000807b3 WINDOWS
50060b0000080a1b LINUX
50060b00000827a5 HPUX
#

For finding the new LUN:
On the host where you want to extend the VG run,

ioscan -fnC disk
insf -e -C disk
ioscan -fnC disk

will show you all the LUNs including the newly created one. Using the target ID of the LUN you can determine the disk device file.

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
kholikt
Super Advisor

Hi,

One last thing, If I need to vgextend do I need to umount all current filesystem. I have OnlineJFS installed.

I believe the LUN will have two link, one suppose to be the alternate link. The correct syntax should be

vgextend /dev/myvg path_to_lun alternate_to_lun

Should I put the alternate link of the LUN to my vgextend command
abc
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

No you need not unmount the volumes as you have OnlineJFS installed. Use fsadm to extend the file systems. No harm in specifying the alternate path in the vgextend command. But if you have securepath installed it will take care of the path failover and IO load balencing.

-Karthik S S