Disk Enclosures
1751979 Members
4668 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I connect 4 servers directly to MSA 2212fc or 2012fc without a SAN Switch?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alireza  Babri
Frequent Advisor

Can I connect 4 servers directly to MSA 2212fc or 2012fc without a SAN Switch?

I need to know as if MSA2 dual controllers are Active/Active and if yes, I have another question whether I can connect 4 hosts(servers) directly to it with out using a SAN switch?

Please answer me as soon as possible, so I will assign good points for reliable answers to my question.

Thanks,
Alireza Babri
5 REPLIES 5
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I connect 4 servers directly to MSA 2212fc or 2012fc without a SAN Switch?

Hi,
here are the numbers:
MSA2000sa - from 2 to 4 hosts
MSA2000i - from 2 to 16 hosts
MSA2000fc - from 2 to 64 hosts,
so the fc san switch implementantion gives much more flexibility:
If you want the direct connection, it seems to work fine with 4 hosts but from the availability point of view the 2 node cluster is ideal because you have performance as well as availability
the pain is one part of the reality
Alireza  Babri
Frequent Advisor

Thank you IBaltay :-)

but I need a referrance for this matter regarding whether I can directly connect 4 servers to MSA 2000 (2212fc or 2012fc DC)

so please send me some docs explaining this matter for me, I hope here many other people give me some more info and referrance.
I am waiting for other comments too.

Thanks,
Alireza
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
i am sending you the scheme of MSA2000fc direct connect
Alireza  Babri
Frequent Advisor

Thank you IBaltay,

I have got this shcema, It helped me much more,
culd I ask you where did you get this schema, I need to know the source,
I really appriciate your cooperation,

Please answer me as soon as possible, so I will assign good points for reliable answers to my question, I appriciate anybody helping e, thanks.

Thanks,
Alireza Babri
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
here is a nice msa 2000fc presentation which i have picked the slide from, no matter that it is partly in dutch and partly in english, almost everything is understandable, ...
http://www.netforum2008.dk/ppt/Server,%20Storage%20&%20Infrastruktur/Netforum%20hp%20SAN%20seminar%20maj%202008.ppt#478,1,HP - SAN Konsolidering af virksomhedens storage