Disk Enclosures
1751870 Members
5308 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can I connect an old 12H(SE) to a SGI 320 PC for video? Raid 1 I think..(PC standard 3.3v PCI)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matt Rendell
Occasional Contributor

Can I connect an old 12H(SE) to a SGI 320 PC for video? Raid 1 I think..(PC standard 3.3v PCI)

I have a Silicon Graphics 320 running Win 2000 Pro. I can get a Qlogic 64 bit scsi adapter, which is the factory spec scsi card for the 320...It is a LVD card but I believe it will go down to 16bit for the old 12H(SE).

I know this will drop the data rate of the 64bit but it is a cheap storage unit...approx $250Au ($120US)for the whole rack...

Its a HP 12H a3700a...has 12 x 4.8gig SE Segates in it...would the bandwidth be adequate as I dont need raid 5 or anything...
I only need about 20mbsec...I think it will just do it...
Can this be done...any help for a new guy would be good

Thanks..
Matt in Australia
5 REPLIES 5
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I connect an old 12H(SE) to a SGI 320 PC for video? Raid 1 I think..(PC standard 3.3v PCI)

Hello,

I beleive this cannot be done, since I'm quite sure that the AutoRAID is HVD, not LVD. It's also a Fast Wide Differential device, not SE.

You have to buy an HVD card in order to use your AutoRAID disk array.

Tape Drives RULE!!!
Matt Rendell
Occasional Contributor

Re: Can I connect an old 12H(SE) to a SGI 320 PC for video? Raid 1 I think..(PC standard 3.3v PCI)

Im not sure Vincent, here is the emailed details of the drives... the guy says they are SE... and the serial number he gave matches to a seagate WC ultra wide scsi...

HP model number is A3700A.The drives themselves are 4.3Gb(HP) Seagate Barracuda ST-34572WC 4XL 80pin SCA 7200rpm Drives.

I assume the SCA stands for Single ended... I dont know...

I need to find out more so I was going to go have a look at it...
Also the PCI to SCSI card is hard to find info on...so any ideas on a PCI adapter would be good...

Thanks
Matt Rendell
(a student on a budget!!)
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

SCA does not stand for SE. The SCA 80-pin connector is a new type of connector, that's it.

AutoRAID is Fast Wide Differential HVD. The HP product A4800A PCI card can be used for this purpose.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Matt Rendell
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Vince,

seems the Qlogic card only does lvd...
I found more info on the drive modules.. they are 4.3gig Seagate barracudas SE SCSI2...they are a wide differental, but doesnt mention if that means they are HVD or LVD...
Can they be SE and HVD...?

I can't find any info on the adapter you recommended...

I dont seem to be able to find many adapters that do HVD..maybe I would be better to get the QLOGIC card and save for a 64bit array, like a Medea or something..(lots of money!!!)

Just thought it would be good for a $250AU rack...but looks like a HVD adapter will cost more than the rack..if I can find one to fit my box..

Thanks again Vincent,
Matt Rendell

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Drives can be LVD and SE but HVD drives can only be HVD. You have probably been confused because the drives themselves in a 12H are SE-SCSI. The external buses are HVD SCSI. There is really no performance hit for this because there are four internal SE buses and two external HVD buses.

You could probably get this to work if you can find an HVD controller for your SGI or a HVD/LVD bus convertor. One source is Blackbox Corp. You would have to configure the LUN's using the 12H front panel rather than host software but one configured, each LUN should appear as a SCSI disk to your SGI box.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.