Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a 9GB DF LP in HASS be Bootable?

Alan Walters
Occasional Advisor

Can a 9GB DF LP in HASS be Bootable?

Hi,
I've spent several days searching the Docs, Manuals, and Knowledge Trees, but can't find the exact info I'm looking for. I'm hoping for some advice (or directions to a URL) on whether I can replace the current 4.3GB internal Boot with a 9GB Low Profile mounted in a HASS.

The current configuration is a K360 with 2 HASS units being fed by 2 28696A (HP-PB? F/W?) Controllers. The above-mentioned 4.3GB internal Boot is Mirrored to a 4.3GB DF Low Profile in one of the HASS. Since I'm running out of space on the Boot and have some empty slots in the HASS, I'd like to get 2 9GB LP and put one in each HASS as Mirrored Boots.

Of the 3 models of 9GB DF LP I've found (A3629A, A5238A, and A5285A), one of them specifically states it's not supported as Boot. Can anybody verify that they're using a 9GB DF LP Module in a HASS as Boot? And if so, which Model?

In addition I'd like to add 2 more Controllers before filling both HASS with 3 more Modules each. My desire would be to replace the HP-PB with GSC Controllers but I think the K360 can only handle 3 GSC total. I'm not sure of the practicality of mixing HP-PB and GSC in the same HASS? Would it be better to use 2 GSC across 16 Drives or settle for 4 HP-PB?

If I discontinue using the internal Boot I'll be throwing away the internal GSC, but I can't see a way to use it for the HASS?

TIA
4 REPLIES
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: Can a 9GB DF LP in HASS be Bootable?

Hi there.
Here an extract from my ioscan.
We are using 9 GB disks as boot disks in an
HASS box like you have.
We use two FWD SCSI interfaces to that box,
so that we can mirror these disks on another hardware path ( 4.1.0 ).
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes

Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Descrip
tion
================================================================================
=====
bc 0 root CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS
ba 0 0 saga CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS saga Br
idge
ext_bus 0 0/0/0 c720 CLAIMED INTERFACE Ultra W
ide SCSI
target 0 0/0/0.4 tgt CLAIMED DEVICE
disk 1 0/0/0.4.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE SEAGATE
ST19171N
target 1 0/0/0.6 tgt CLAIMED DEVICE
disk 2 0/0/0.6.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE SEAGATE
ST19171N
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Alan Walters
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.
Is your HASS a Model A3312A? (Sorry, I should have included that in the first place). Since your Seagates end with an 'N', I think they're not quite what I'm looking for. I believe I need them to end in 'WC' (for the SCA Connector).
Are yours 1" (Low Profile) or 1.6" (Half Height)? Do you know their HP Model #?
I'd prefer 9GB DF in a LP Hot-Pluggable Module. I'll settle for HH format, but that will reduce the number of slots available for future expansion.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Yes, the box is a HASS A3312A.
part# for the disk is A3312AR#254.
Low profile 18 GB disk part# A5286A.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Alan Walters
Occasional Advisor

Alexander,
Thanks for the info so far, it's really helping me out.
Can I bug you again to verify the HP Part Number of the 9GB WD LP? I can't find any mention of A3312AR#254 in the HP PartSurfer.
Is it possibly either A5238A or A5285A?
Would you happen to know whether the only difference between them is that one is 5400 RPM and the other 7200?