5990 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing from Raid 0 to Raid 5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willems

Changing from Raid 0 to Raid 5

A Customer has a Netraid 3Si connected to 10 Disks 18,2GB. No he wants to change a logical Drive 5Disks Raid0 (no data) to a logical Drive 5Disks Raid5.

The change Raid level is grey so I cannot change.

Is it really needed to add a new Disk to change to Raid 5

Any other Solution?
3 REPLIES 3
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor
Solution

In order to be able to change raid level you have to have some unconfigured disks in your raid (these disks are marked "ready" in netraid assistent). Since option change raid level is greyed I think your customer configured all disks. If he had made two raid0 array (5 disks each for instance) you can delete last created logical drive. Then you will get 5 unconfigured disks which can be used for changing raid level or upgrading capacity of existing logical drive. If all disks are configured as one big raid0 logical drive you have to delete it i configure them again. When you have logical drive + unconfigured drive you have to mark both of them in netriad assistent and then you can select change raid level / upgrade capacity option.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
take in mind only a few thinks,
--if you have a raid 0 with 5x18 gb you will have 90 gb, a raid 5 with 5x18gb give you 72 gb , so warm about capacity, you gain security but you lost space and speed
-- you can delete the last logical drive created only with last netraid assistant version b02.02
bye
marino
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Make two copies of the data
Restore a few files to make sure you have a good tape drive (skip this step at your peril)
Wipe the disks and the configuration
Reconfigure as a Raid5
Restore the data

You lost space, gained security, lost speed.