New Discussion юеВ

Clarion 9137

Luis Toro
Regular Advisor

Clarion 9137

I have inherited a server with disk array that
"may" be a CLarion 9137. It looks like a Nike
Model 20, except that it has an extra 3rd row of drives. My questions are:
1- How can I tell what type of array it is ?
(there are no demarkations on the unit)
2- Is there a "Grid Manager" type interface
that will allow me to reconfigure the array ?
I have connected a dumb terminal to its serial port, and thus far I get garbage on the 700/96
monitor.
5 REPLIES 5
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

Re: Clarion 9137

Does it look like that disk array have up to a maximum of 30 disk modules ?
If yes, it must be model 30.
Model 30 is HP term and I don't know what it's called by Clarion.

In model 30, Gridmgr is supported.
If you used the correct RS-232C cable, there must be no problem to talk to each Storage Processor.
When 700/96 HP terminal is used, you have to set HP terminal to VT100 Emulation mode or EM100 mode to connect each Storage Processor.

Because garbage is on the screen, Changing terminal Emulation to something different will solve the problem.

Regards,

Never say "no" first.
Luis Toro
Regular Advisor

Thanks.

It does look like a Model 30. However, I still
get garbage on the screen, and I've gone through the Terminal settings several times.
The cable I am using is an HP cable, labeled
"24542G". It is the same cable I use to connect the monitor to the console port in the back of an HP9000.
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

The following is Hardware requirement for Direct-Connect Terminal configuration.

- HP terminal model 700/96, product number C1064A,C1064G or C1064W option ABA.
- HP 24542G RS-232C Cable.
Thus, I think that you're using the correct cable and Terminal.

This is how you can configure the Direct-Connect Terminal properly using HP terminal 700/96.
1. Power up the HP terminal.
2. Press the menu key, then the "system" key until the function key menu apperars across the bottom of the screen.
3. Press F8(config keys).
4. Press F5(terminal config).
5. Press the arrow keys to position the cursor at the TermMode entry.
6. Press F2(next choice) repeatedly until EM100 or VT100 appears in the TermMode field, then press F1(save config).
7. check for an indication at the bottom of the screen indicating EM100 mode or VT100.
8. Access the datacomm configuration screen and set the baud rate to 9600 and the parity/databits to NONE/8.
9. Press F1(save config) to save the configuration.

Now, Gridmgr screen should display on the screen.
If you're in trouble again even though you do everything listed here, give it a try with a Notebook PC loaded a terminal emulation software like Reflection.

Regards,
Never say "no" first.
Luis Toro
Regular Advisor

Thanks for you help and here is the latest...
It certainly does look like a Model 30, but an
HP FE mentioned that HP only marketed fiber
connected Model 30 arrays. This array is SCSI
connected. The FE opened the back panel and in there was an indication of a StorageTek 9137
(using Clarion hardware). So I am back to square one. I have placed a call to STK to see
if they can help me out.
Thanks.
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Clarion is manufactured by Data General (bought out by EMC I believe) and their "Nikes" are compatible with HP9000's at least, (I've had 'em installed on one of my systems before).

From the following URL you may find a number of Clarion manuals:

http://www-csc.dg.com/csc/default.asp

I leave it to you to read the manuals and find those nuggets of information you need. FYI Data General/EMC will offer you a maintenance contract on your equipment if you wish.