1747997 Members
4518 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Clonning HD on ProLiant DL380 G6

Salvador Diaz
Occasional Contributor

Clonning HD on ProLiant DL380 G6

I have a couple of new DL380 G6 servers already running on production for about a month. They have a hard disk drive on RAID-0 each. The problem is that these drives are not ours since the our HP vendor could not deliver the real drives for our servers (one drive with 160GB and another with 500GB, both for each server). Now that he finally got out drives we need to give him the ones we've been using, but the servers' production tasks are critical and we cannot have them down for long periods of time.

I am thinking that perhaps the Smart Array P410i controller might somehow make a perfect copy on one of the new drives, some kind of RAID-1. Since I'm running RAID-0 now, is there any way to do this? Or any other ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Clonning HD on ProLiant DL380 G6

Hi,

I believe you can use acucli to make amendments to the RAID configuration/add/extend/remove disks from configurations.

which OS are u running?

regards

Matt
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13201_na/13201_na.html

Addition of the battery or flash backed cache upgrade enables array expansion, logical drive extension, RAID migration, and stripe size migration.

You can migrate from RAID 0 to RAID 1, but you need the controller to have the BBWC or FBWC.
Salvador Diaz
Occasional Contributor

I'm running Debian Lenny 5.03 for AMD64. Can this array configuration utility CLI be useful for our purpose?
I've been looking into online specs and it seems that our server includes 512 BBWC on the array controller but I'm not sure. How can I be sure?
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

if you run the Array configuration utility, it will tell you if the Array Adapter has BBWC. Also, if you dont have the battery in there, the ability to extend the array will be disabled.

If you have the Proliant Support Pack System Management Homepage (PSP SMH) installed you can run the graphical version of acucli, which you may find easier to interpret the information it shows you.

regards

Matt