Re: Comman View EVA 9.1 in a Virtual Machine

Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Comman View EVA 9.1 in a Virtual Machine

Hi,

I have the following scenario:
* 1 Tape Blade SB1760c
* 1 EVA4400

In this Server I have Installed a Citrix XENSERVER 5.5, I created a Virtual Machine with Windows 2003. It Is Possible to install Command View EVA 9.1 in this VM???...

Greetings,
CCH
12 REPLIES 12
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, the scenario is the following:
* 1 Blade BL465c G6
* 1 EVA4400

Any ideas???...
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

CV must have access to LUN 0 on the EVA. With vmware this is only possible using iSCSI. If you have the iSCSI option on the EVA this may be possible with citrix. but I'm not sure. If Citrix can give you direct fiber channel access to the EVA it might also be possible without iSCSI. But I don't know the capabilities of XENSERVER. Sorry
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

AFAIK it's supported to install CV 9.2 into a VM and using NPIV to access the LUN0 of the EVA.
Best regards,
Patrick
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help, What is NPIV and How configure NPIV in a Brocade SAN Switches with FW v6.3.0c.

Greeting,
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The installation guide for CV-EVA V9.2 does indeed give some hints how to configure a VMware ESX guest VM.

It does not use NPIV - remember that NPIV *does not* give a VM a Fibre Channel adapter!

In the VMware vSphere Client you need to add a "SCSI device" and map it to an address, e.g. 0:1.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi UWE,

I don't use a VMware, actually I have a Blade with Citrix XENSERVER 5.5.

Any ideas???...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, I understood. The question is whether you can map specific SAN SCSI LUNs to a VM's SCSI adapter. Unfortunately I don't know if you can do that with XEN.

> What is NPIV and How configure NPIV in a Brocade SAN Switches with FW v6.3.0c.

I did not see that question when I posted by previous response.

NPIV is short for "N_Port ID Virtualization". Normally a Fibre Channel port has one 64-bit World Wide Port Name (WWPN), uses it to login to a Fibre Channel switch and obtain one 24-bit Fibre Channel address (N_Port ID, FCID, PID, ... - the industry has given a number of names to it).

NPIV allows a port to present itself with multiply "identities" using multiple WWPNs and N_Port IDs.
One of its purposes it to give such an "identity" to a Virtual Machine so that its I/Os can be identified and managed using SAN tools.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi UWE,

I think I can create a SCSI vdisk and mapping to a EVA LUN, do you think that the CVEVA 9.2 will work???...

In this case it is possible that NPIV will work???...

Greetings,
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Consider this:

Your EVA has a problem and your virtual machines can no longer run. You won't be able to use command view - bad situation, isn't it?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!