3261 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Command View EVA - Application Error and will not run

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian Ethington

Command View EVA - Application Error and will not run

I've made several attempts with several different scenarios to recover Command View 8.0x today. I reinstalled numerous times, then constructed a completely new windows 2003 server to host the software.

The situation is this....

CV EVA 8.0.0 installs fine, then the service attempts to start, then crashes. The error in the event log is:
Faulting application cveva.exe, version 8.0.14679.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x0001002d.

The service starts, then exits, logging this error in the application log. It does this each time a start is issued.

Windows 2003 SP1, CV service fails. Installed SP2, CV service fails. Reinstalled, CV service fails. Each time the above message is logged. This seems to have happened after a reboot where MS patch Tuesday patches were installed. That doesn't explain the SP1-based crashes though. Anyone else seeing this behavior?
DL360G5, dual quad-core xenon, 32gb RAM. Server 2003 x64 (also crashes on x86), plenty of disk.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
9 REPLIES 9
Brian Ethington

Re: Command View EVA - Application Error and will not run

Update:

I've found that with the fiber unplugged from the server that the service will start and run. Once the fiber is plugged in, the service stops. I've applied patch 8.02 with limited success. A reboot of the server, and the service will not start any more with the above error being logged into the Application log.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Brian,

Make sure the switch zoning is done correctly so that the server running CV is zoned in a single zone with the EVA alone.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Brian Ethington

This is the embedded switch version of the EVA. I took your advice and zoned the server port with the two EVA storage ports (0 and 11) on that specific piece of the switch. Rebooted the server with no change. If I disable the host port, then enable it again, I can eventually start CV EVA. Very wierd issue.
Gareth H Wilson
Frequent Advisor
Solution

at a guess have you configured smnp on your eva ? we had this problem with our 8100 it worked fine with cv7 and when we went to CV8 as soon as the eva was presented to the CV box then the CV service would stop running, the fix was to present the eva to a box running CV7, login to CV7 go into the "System options" of your eva and then into "Configure Host Notification" and remove any configured hosts, present the eva back to the box running cv8 and the service should stay running and you should be able to login to CV8......

Good 'ol hp...
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The QuickSpecs for CV EVA suggest that only the 32bit version of Windows is supported...

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12239_div/12239_div.html

Cheers,

Rob
Brian Ethington

Yes, we're working on the 32 bit operating system now.

HP Support is engaged. I'm going to definitely try the SNMP settings and report back. Thank you for the responses.
Brian Ethington

Gareth Wins! Once I was able to get the service running again (having visual studio installed as part of SQL on this server allowed me to get past the JIT Debugging error and continue the process) I was able to remove the SNMP target host name and all was good. I've asked HP for a support article.

Thanks!!!!!
Brian
Gareth H Wilson
Frequent Advisor

glad it sorted it you for you Brian i had a support call open for almost 2 weeks before Level 3 command view support managed to sort it out, glad i was of assistance and thanks for the points :)
Carsten Reinhard
Frequent Advisor

I have the same issue after updating from command view 7.0 to 9.0. Two additional things about this error:

1.) First time Command View started without a problem. But after then the error recured on every restart of this service. After deleting the following directory CV starts again:

"c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Sanworks\Element Manager for StorageWorks HSV\cache\"

2.) The Host Name on our Host Notification List was a DNS-Alias for another server. So the name used there wasn't the host name of the server. To get it to work it was enough to use an IP address or to assign the alias name as real name to the server (using NETDOM SERVERNAME /ADD ...)

Kind regards.