cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command equivalency table XP <---> EMC Symmetrix

Christian Tremblay
Trusted Contributor

Command equivalency table XP <---> EMC Symmetrix

I used to manage XP128 frames but I now work in an environment using EMC Symmetrix frames.

Does anybody know about documentation from a perspective of somebody used to administering XPs and having to switch to administering EMC frames.

Commands equivalents, concept or operating differences etc.

Chris
3 REPLIES
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

Re: Command equivalency table XP <---> EMC Symmetrix

I don't know about XP but there are three ways to manage an EMC symmetrix frame .

1.The first one is from the service processor attached to the frame that runs symmwin . Most probably EMC will not allow you to do that .

2.second way is to load solutions enabler or as they now call it WIde Sky solutions enabler on a host directly or san attached to the symm . This will give command line capabilities to manage the symm .

3. The third way , and the way EMC prefers , is to install EMC Control Centre Open edition on a windows host directly or san ttached to the symm . This will give you gui capabilities to manage the symm as well as host of another functionalities depending on the licensing schemes you me have .
Christian Tremblay
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, but I already have all the docs and knew about that. What I'm looking for is a kind of comparison table like the many that exists for different Unix that help, for example, a SUN sysadmin to quickly find it's way in HP-UX. For example a business copy in EMC needs special disks called BCVs but in XP I think any LUN can be used for that.

I am looking for a list of differences and commands equivalents.
Christian Tremblay
Trusted Contributor

ecc