3885 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Command view SDM (cvsdm) error getting database

James Mercer
Advisor

Command view SDM (cvsdm) error getting database

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Commandview SDM cvsdm reporting "error getting database reference" and armdiscover reporting: "Failed to obtain remote database interface to host: localhost"

This has occurred several times with cvsdm (version 1.07) and our only solution has been a swremove and reinstall. I've read the forums and seen the suggestions:
1)- stop hostagent and diald/opendial
- move DeviceDBFile to another file
- restart opendial and hostagent
or 2) add host IP address to access.dat file.
Well, I've tried both options and neither works. launcher and armdiscover consistently report the same error messages.

Note that this does not affect LUN access/use, it only affects administration of the VA7410s.
The host in question is an rp7410 running hpux 11i.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James
9 REPLIES 9
Saulius_1
Frequent Advisor

The problem may be with several default routes. Check netstat -nr output.

If not, something may be wrong with localhost addressing. Try telnet locahost for example. If this will work - then localhost address is not the case, if not - you need to fix it ;).

Saulius
James Mercer
Advisor

Yes, I've checked localhost and it works without a problem. Also, the network routes are ok and haven't changed since cvsdm worked to now (when cvsdm doesn't work).

Are there any debug tools/options to step through the initial processes that launcher goes through to attach to the database?
Mr. John Kerr
Occasional Advisor

James,
Have you tried to connect via the commandline CVUI.
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand
James Mercer
Advisor

cvui - thanks, are there any other useful commands?

Unfortunately, trying cvui didn't work using either short or full dns names for the host or localhost or no hostname at all. Even using cvui WWN (using the worldwide node number) doesn't work.

I've looked through the logs and seen aas=null complaints just before the problems began (but none after the problems started). Now, we're getting 'critical' errors in ClientTrace.txt, but the errors say little more than
---
- Tue Jul 20 16:07:02 BST 2004 -
class com.hp.Array2001Mgr.launcher.LauncherController
CRITICAL msg: LauncherController.initDeviceInfo()-1: Error getting database ref
erence from localhost.
Total JVM Memory: 18546688 - Free JVM Memory: 14700568
---
Hardly enlightening.

Thanks
James Mercer
Advisor

I gave up and reloaded the software after moving /etc/opt/sanmgr and /var/opt/sanmgr.

Michael Li_2

Hi James,

We have the same problem as yours. The solution is as following,

# /opt/sanmgr/commandview/client/sbin/HA_Dial_Stop
cd /opt/sanmgr/hostagent/config
# vi commIpAddr.txt
# change ip address to current one

if you change the host name, do the following mv thing; otherwise you can just start the HA_Dial.

cd /var/opt/sanmgr/commandview/server/data
mv DeviceDBFile DeviceDBFile.old

/opt/sanmgr/commandview/client/sbin/HA_Dial_Start
Ulrich Windl
Occasional Advisor

I'm seeing the variant "101. Unable to connect to host..." ("Internal Error: Error getting database reference from ...") (in addition to an expired certificate for the Java Applet that causes just an empty white screen to be displayed in the browser). I've tried all the solutions suggested so far (the machine also has multiple IP addresses, and every other software (including SAP R/3) works without problem).
I'm tempted to say that commandview is maximal Java bloat with minimal functionality, combined with complicated configuration and useless log files.
I'm just curious whether HP will be able to solve the problem...
Julio Porras_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Michael Li, your response solved my problem with "Failed to obtain remote database interface to host: localhost"!!!
henk-jonkers

Thanks to Michael Li, This was the solution for the problem that I had with "Failed to obtain remote database interface to host: localhost"!

Thanks
Henk J.