1748089 Members
4933 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CommandView EVA - Importance of IP Address and Node Name in Host Properties

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

CommandView EVA - Importance of IP Address and Node Name in Host Properties

Do the "Node Name" specifically need to be a resolvable (DNS) name to denote the hostname of the Server who's HBAs belong to? ALso -- what about about IP Address (Static of Dynamic)--- where does it come into play?

I do notice I can put in *any descriptive name* on the Node Name field when defining hosts.... as well as leave the IP Address to dynamic and I can still normally present Vdisks to a server.

I guess the reason I am asking is say for an EVA8000 - I have servers connected to it with 4-HBAs. With a single hostgroup on the EVA/CommandView and having all 4 HBAs defined for the hostgroup.. each Vdisk will have 16 HP-UX Device paths and I don't think it's efficiwent for my MP software (DMP) to round robin amongst 4 HBAs or 16 paths... I wanmt my hostgroups to include just 2 HBAs -- hence this will result in Quad-HBA'd servers to have 2 host properties defined... i.e. If my server's name is DOPEY, I want DOPY to have 2 host grouip properties defined ... one with a "node name" of DOPEY_a (with the 1st 2 HBAs and DOPEY_b with the next. Then I will divvy up Vdisk presentations betwwen the 2....

Hakuna Matata.
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I have never seen any explanation what it is good for or what for it might be used in the future.

This was sort-of discussed in a recent thread, too, which made me look into to old version 1 documentation. Sigh, the most useful content is that it tells me how an IP address look like :-(
Sometimes I really wonder who does write the documentation, who does the proofreading and who grants the release, but I digress...

I have never used it since the last 5.5 years and have not missed anything.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I never used the IP information either. But, that values may be used by some HP tools, for example, there was a tool called EVA Documentation Tool (For HP only) that generates all the storage documentation based on the output of a tool.

The node name does not need to be a resolvable host name.

>>> I do notice I can put in *any descriptive name* on the Node Name field when defining hosts.... as well as leave the IP Address to dynamic and I can still normally present Vdisks to a server.

Yes, you are doing right.

For your technical terms, I think that you work with XP storages. EVA and XP uses a little different concept to "present/map" luns to hosts.

Having 4 HBAs on the same host also is not "common" to me.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Nelson,

As far as I'm aware you can use anything for the "Node Name". In my environment the machine running Command View EVA is completely isolated (network wise) from any other systems, and I've never had any issues from using whatever name I like. There's no DNS lookups going on, or IP addresses used (hosts are set to dynamic) and everything works fine on the FC side of things.

Your plan to create the node name of DOPEY_a and DOPEY_b will work fine.

Cheers,

Rob
gstonian
Trusted Contributor

It's all worked out using the WWN's of your HBA's so hostname can be anything you like.

Just add the WWN's of the HBA's you are interested in and everyting will work just fine.

Just make sue you take into account the proper configuration of zoning on the switches.