3585 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compac Array Utility - Adding disk to array -running forever

SOLVED
Go to solution
Deborah Kuivila

Compac Array Utility - Adding disk to array -running forever

I have a Proliant w/ one defined Array and logical drive. I used the Compac Array Config Utility, picked Modify and Add to add a new disk to the array. The existing array is 4 36GB drives, I added one more 36 GBdrive. I'm running Win 2000 Server. The Compac Array Utility has been running for 3 days now, and says "Currently expanding Array A, Logical Drive 1" and is only at 6%. At this rate it'll be running for 1 month. Is this normal?
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Compac Array Utility - Adding disk to array -running forever

It doesn;t sound right, but the amount of time it takes can vary greatly depending on...

1. how much data the controller has to relocate

2. the expand/rebuild priority level setting

I would definitely see how much data there is on the existing logical drives. If they are full, or almost full... the time will be longer then if they were at half capacity used.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

What is your expansion priority set to? I don't think you can change the priority once you've started the process, but you should have it set to high.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Deborah Kuivila

Yes, my expand/rebuild priority was set to low. I did reset it after the expand started, and it didn't take affect. So I'll know better the next time. And my system is 99% full so that explains the slowdown. I guess this is my welcome to the world of PC business servers - Deb, x-unix guru