5600 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq 3200 Array Controllers

Bruce Code
Advisor

Compaq 3200 Array Controllers

Hi.

Can anyone tell me whether a Compaq 3200 RAID Controller will work in any other machine than Compaq or HP?

I've had a Proliant 6000 I've been trying to get running for some time. I've finally given up on it, but have purchased a couple of Compaq Proliant Storage System U2 disk arrays and three 3200 cards with memory and internal channel daughter boards.

Unfortunately I can't get any of them going either. They all generate a meesgae along the lines of:
'Reconfiguring I2C NVRAM' and then the server spontaneously reboots.
I've spent well over 5 hours searching the HP site for help with this area and all I have been able to come up with is:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=374785&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=374785&objectID=PSD_EX990729_CW02
In accordance with this, I've downloaded the Options Rompaq (already had this from the failed Proliant 6000) but I cannot run it because the server reboots before I can boot from the floppy. I also pulled 3 of the 4 Gb of RAM out to make sure that it is under the 4Gb the HP article mentions, but no good. I removed the RAM daughter board, but that didn't help. Finally I removed the 3200 and booted off the floppies, but of course then it can't find the 3200 to update it.

I'm at my wits end with Compaq. I've previously been a desktop tech support for over four years and I reckon that I could pull apart and rebuild a desktop blindfold, but Compaq Servers have given me nothing but grief. I have my own web design business and want the server set up for that, but at this rate... At this rate it would so far have been cheaper for me to buy a brand new, pre configured HP mini tower system.

I'm very frustrated, but would welcome some help in order for me to salvage something from this problem.

Thanks,

Bruce Code

http://www.atomicdesignstudio.com.au

Thanks, Bruce
7 REPLIES 7
Bruce Code
Advisor

Re: Compaq 3200 Array Controllers

PS,

I'm trying to put the 3200s into a Super Micro pedestal server with quad PIII Xeon 700s, 4Gb RAM (1GB at the moment since I have reduced it), 32-bit 33Mhz, 64-bit 33Mhz and 64-bit 66Mhz PCI slots and an Adaptec AIC-7899 SCSI controller onboard.

Since I have three of the 3200s and only really need two, I have tried one of the 3200s in all three types of PCI slot - it doesn't even work in the 64-bit slots, so I'm really at a loss as far as the linked HP article goes....

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=374785&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=374785&objectID=PSD_EX990729_CW02

TIA

Bruce

http://www.atomicdesignstudio.com.au
Bruce Code
Advisor

Hi,

Does anyone have a magic answer for me or can they tell me how to update the firmware?

Thanks,

Bruce
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Bruce,

can't say why it won't boot with the 3200 in the server. I assume you're trying with only one controller in the server at a time.

I can only suggest the following:
- Download the System Erase Utility:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17918.html
- Run this and create the floppy. Boot your server from this and use the option "Erase Everything". This completely wipes the server (NVRAM, any Disks attached). It's a more effective erase than the one from the SmartStart CD, or using the DIP switch to clear NVRAM.
- Then try with the 3200 installed and see if that made a difference

Good luck,
Stephen
Bruce Code
Advisor

Hi Stephen,

Would this work for a non-Compaq server?

The server I am trying to get the 3200 working in is a Super Micro 8050 pedestal server.

I've also tried a variety of configurations from one card only in the 32-bit/33Mhz, the 64-bit/33Mhz and the 64-bit/66Mhz slots. I've also tried multiple cards with one in each slot type.

Thanks,

Bruce
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Bruce,

I'm not sure if this works in a non-Compaq server. I can't say what would happen.
Theoretically the SA3200 should work in almost any PCI slot. It's a 32-bit card.

Regards,
Stephen
Bruce Code
Advisor

Thanks Stephen,

As far as I know it should work, but it doesn't - none of the three cards do.

I'm almost prepared to cut my losses and get another card - preferably 64-bit dual channel, but, after my experience with these cards, I'm quite reluctant to get any other HP or Compaq cards.

Do you know of any cards that are *guaranteed* to work in a white box server?

Thanks,

Bruce
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Bruce,

I've seen numerous threads on the forums with people having similar problems (i.e. getting a Smart Array controller working in anything that's not a Proliant server), and if you're using a "generic" server, I would stick to something like an Adaptec RAID controller. But then, I couldn't say if they would be compatible with the Compaq Storage boxes. :-(

I think I misread the start of your thread. I thought you were still trying to get the cards working in the Proliant 6000.

Good luck,
Stephen