1752295 Members
4309 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compare LVM & MirrorDisk/UX with Smart Array 6402

Greg Nowicki
Occasional Contributor

Compare LVM & MirrorDisk/UX with Smart Array 6402

I'm configuring a new database server and am not interested in RAID 5. With disks attached in a dual bus MSA 30, what are the differences between using dumb U320 adapters with LVM + MirrorDisk/UX and a Smart Array 6402 controller? I expect there to be plenty of spare CPU cycles. One difference I see is that the SA 6402 is a single point of failure. I can define the mirrors on seperate U320 adapters and keep going if one fails.
3 REPLIES 3
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Re: Compare LVM & MirrorDisk/UX with Smart Array 6402

Greg,

What is de model off the server and what is the OS.

Mirror/UX on HPUX doesn't use much CPU cycles. I installed hundred of these configs and I had never any problem.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

if you don't want to use RAID5, I agree with you - the smart array controller is single point of failure.

So it may be better to use "dumb" scsi controllers and LVM mirror the disks across independent busses.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Greg Nowicki
Occasional Contributor

Luk, I'm looking at a rp3440 with 2 1GHz PA-8900's (4 total cores) running HP-UX 11i v1.

Redundancy in the system is important but so is performance. Will I get more IOPS out of a SA 6402 managing RAID 1+0 drives or two U320 adapters with LVM defined mirrored stripes? I have done both before with good results but never compared the two with the same hardware. I was hoping to find someone in the forums that could give an authoritative answer.